INC NEWS - Film festivals & films; events compiled

Laura Drey lkdrey2 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 13 18:24:49 EST 2007

Tuesday, February 12 only first film begins at 7:30 (every week will have
different showing)

Full Frame Film Fest: The countdown --- documentary films
    Fotomator
    Return with Honor

Carolina Theatre  560-3030
309 West Morgan St, Durham
www.fullframefest.org

--------

Film Festivals

February 15 - 18

Black Diaspora Film Festival

Africa Now! Film Currents of a Continent

Commercial and independent films representing several countries from the
continent of Africa, as well as local and regional independent film makers,
touch upon issues such as ethnicity, gender, culture, traditions and
identity, hope and humanity.

Hayti Heritage Center  683-1709
804 Old Fayetteville St, Durham
www.hayti.org

----------

February 23 & 24

All American Film Festival

All-American Film Festival is gearing up to be one of the best national film
festivals in the area, with several award-winning short films already
accepted into our national competition lineup, and a strong group of local
films featured in our NC Spotlight Showcase.  The All American Film Festival
strives to represent as much of the underrepresented cinematic diversity in
the United States as possible.

Saturday, February 24th at 4 pm. Award-winning filmmaker, Keith McDaniel,
will present his entertaining and educational filmmaking
workshop, "How I Got James Earl Jones To Be In My Movie".

Durham Arts Council  560-2726
120 Morris St
The films are $4 each. A day pass is $15. A festival pass is $25.
www.allamericanfilmfestival.com/

-----------

April 12 ­ 15

Full Frame Film Festival

Full Frame welcomes filmmakers and film lovers from around the world for a
four-day, morning-to-midnight smorgasbord of:

More than 100 films (both curated and submitted for competition)
Panel discussions
Seminars
Q&A sessions

Downtown Durham venues (mainly Carolina Theatre at 309 West Morgan St)
Tickets individual movies & weekend passes.  Volunteers needed.
www.fullframefest.org/about/#more

-----------

Repeated Events

Saturday February 24

SafeSkills® is offering its' Self-Defense Workshop for adult women of all
ages and teen girls. Don't miss this opportunity to learn powerful skills
for staying safe.

SafeSkills® Training Center
3710 Shannon Rd,  Shannon Plaza, Durham
1:00 - 5:00PM

$55 -  Enrollment is limited in this workshop and pre-registration is
required to reserve your space.

More info call 644-1335.

----------

Center for Documentary Studies  660-3663
1317 Pettigrew St.  (Off Swift Ave., across from Duke University¹s East
Campus. at Main St. Broad becomes Swift. Hwy 147 take Swift Rd. exit)

March 8, 7 p.m.

Screening of All My Babies  Film by George C. Stoney

In addition to recording many of the key scenes that made up the film,
Galbraith emphasizes the communal bonds formed between traditional midwives
and their clients.

Through April 2, 2007

Reclaiming Midwives: Stills from All My Babies
Photographs by Robert Galbraith,

Reclaiming Midwives features photographs by Robert Galbraith that explore
the lives and experiences of black midwives in Georgia in the early 1950s.