INC NEWS - Editorial: Wrestling the gorilla (Herald-Sun)

John Schelp bwatu at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 28 10:25:59 EST 2007

Editorial: Wrestling the gorilla
Herald-Sun, 28 February 2007

Durham and the state Department of Transportation are
on a collision course, which doesn't bode well for
Durham. DOT is bigger and more powerful than any local
governments, and isn't shy about throwing its weight
around. When a collision appears imminent, DOT often
jams on the accelerator and flattens the opposition.

Such an outcome would be unfortunate because, when it
comes to the three issues on the table, Durham's
positions have a lot of merit:

-- DOT has plans to widen Alston Avenue that would rip
out the only local grocery store and divide the
neighborhood. The plan favors commuters passing
through but ignores the needs of pedestrians,
bicyclists and other residents. Durham City and County
governments deserve credit for showing moxie and
standing up for this low-income neighborhood, and Rep.
Paul Luebke is encouraging them to keep up the
pressure. We agree. It would be unconscionable for DOT
not to take the near-unanimous local opposition to its
plan very seriously.

-- DOT has also changed its plan to move the Amtrak
station from its present location on West Chapel Hill
Street into a building at West Village. The new
station would have replaced the current building,
which, with its temporary feel, is known as "Amshack."
We understand that plans for a downtown transportation
hub changed when the regional rail project was denied
funding by the federal government. But before DOT acts
precipitously on its own, it should engage in renewed
cooperative planning with the city, the Triangle
Transit Authority and other players.

-- Everyone agrees Durham had nothing to do with the
giant snafu that will cost $21.7 million to repave a
section of I-40 because the first job was botched. Yet
Durham could be penalized if DOT counts the cost of
fixing its own mistake against our local allocation,
thereby delaying other needed improvements. That would
be blatantly wrong.

Although DOT is an 800-pound gorilla, the outlook is
not entirely bleak. Durham gained some bulk of its own
in the state Legislature when Jim Black left in
disgrace. Veteran legislator Mickey Michaux now chairs
the powerful House Appropriations Committee, which
controls DOT's budget. And new House Speaker Joe
Hackney is a friend from Chapel Hill. We hope their
influence will help Durham's cause. Sometimes, being
right just isn't enough.