INC NEWS - Voice your opinion

David Harris harrisdl2003 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 28 10:35:47 EDT 2007

PRESS RELEASE
Date:  3/27/2007
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT:  Melissa Muir, 919.682.2800
Special Projects Coordinator
Downtown Durham, Inc.

Downtown Durham Master Plan:  Voice Your Opinion
Durham’s rapidly growing downtown has been guided by the Downtown Durham Master Plan adopted by the City Council and County Commission in 2000.

By the end of 2008, within downtown’s very small geographic area (.751 square miles --- or --- 12 x14 block area),  projects completed, those currently under development, and those in the planning stages, will result in public & private investment of over $1 Billion.

The original master plan was intended to be a living document that evolves with the changes and opportunities in Durham. Today, the Plan no longer fully accounts for the current physical landscape of downtown, current market trends, or the new constituents who have come to downtown in the last six years.  As a result, Downtown Durham, Inc., the City and the County believe it is time to assess the Master Plan objectives and to ensure that the Plan continues to be relevant to the Durham of today and tomorrow.  The same company that did the original master plan, Development Concepts Inc (DCI) is the company that has been hired to do the review of the master plan.

What are the opportunities for public participation?

The process will take place from February through June.  Opportunities for public participation include:

·        A survey that is currently posted on the DDI web page, www.downtowndurham.com.  The survey will be available from March 25 until May 12, asking for any interested persons to share their thoughts about downtown revitalization.  Completing the survey should take approximately 10 minutes.

·        We will conduct two full-day planning charrettes, one on Saturday, April 28 and one on Saturday, May 12.  The charrettes will be organized by DCI and the Durham Area Designers team.  These charettes will be open to the public.  Please check the DDI website for locations & times of the charrettes.

·        DCI will conduct interviews with key downtown stakeholders.

·        DCI will report its findings and recommendations to our community at an Open House allowing an opportunity for the public to offer any suggestions.

·        DDI will request the City Council and County Commission to adopt the updated Master Plan, which will provide a final opportunity for public comment.

Revisiting the Master Plan is essential to ensure that downtown represents the citizens who live and work in Durham, encompasses the unique history and culture of the city, and develops our economic potential.  We want our process to include broad public participation.  Since Durham is such a diverse community, the key to downtown Durham’s success will be growth that does not bypass anyone.  A comprehensive conversation and planning process with the community can make that happen.

David Harris
919-906-2023