INC NEWS - Next Act: Fat Lady Sings

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Wed Apr 4 01:25:07 EDT 2007

Looking at the posted draft minutes, it becomes apparent that our vote to
change the spelling and adopt the modified DCVB branding as a logo was
moot. There were not enough members present to vote on anything. So as
much as Bill Anderson has decided it's a done deal, it looks like we still
have the fat lady left to sing. And as we all know, it not over until she
gets her opportunity.

So perhaps we can use this time to discuss what benefits these changes
might bring to INC. Bill said it was unnecessary to discuss this any
further. I think he is incorrect in that assumption. It appears this
decision, for better or for worse, is still on the table. So I'd like to
hear from those who think the idea is good, that the spelling is better,
and the adoption of a branding icon (that we have already been told is
subject to change as it has in the past) will be for INC. If it's such a
good idea, then there should be plenty of reasons and discussion about why
we'd be making this change. Otherwise, as I contend, it makes no sense.

I'll give you a head start before I get started. There are a number of
reasons why this is a bad idea and it's not that simple (or cheap) to fix
any of it. But better yet, why are we changing anything in the first
place? Whose idea was this anyway? I've not missed any meetings to have
missed a conversation where any of us addressed why this was good, bad, or
otherwise. Are we just that bored and have so much time and money that
there are not more important issues to deal with than stringing 17 letters
together to form a new spelling of our name? Shouldn't INC have its own
identity (logo) after almost 23 years? Durham is supposed to be full of
the "creative class". We hear that all the time. Did we even ask? Perhaps
they would have a better suggestion...

Why don't we open it up to all the "creative" folks and just see what we
get? What do we have to lose? How could it be wrong to involve our
community? After all, it's the neighborhoods that all the creative folks
live in that make up this City and our organization. Why not reach out to
them and see what they can come up with. "The Great INC Logo Contest". I
can see it now. Even the art classes in the schools can add it to their
project list. We could even offer a prize to the winners. Heck, if they
don't change the spelling, just look at the money we'll save...

Our friends at the newspapers can advertise it. We could even have
sponsors to make the winners pot large enough to attract some big fish. Or
maybe just helping out INC and the neighborhoods we serve might be enough
to draw them in. Sort of a "giving Back" to the community if you will.

It's time INC had a brand. Not something we share with everyone else
across the City. The change sets us up to change it again, and again, and
again as the Durham brand changes. And every time it does, it may create
the same headache it does at this time. Why make future INC groups suffer
through it ever again? Let's move forward with something we'll all be
proud of and something that is INC, not a Durham brand.
SuperCalaFragiListicExpiAlaInterNeighborhoodCouncil is just a bad...
Neither fits on a tee shirt very well. Our brand is INC and that is what
we should push forward with.

Tell us why this is such a great idea if there is any reasoning behind
this change. Inquiring minds want to know.

RWP
27 Beverly