INC NEWS - Mayor's Invitation to Lead Summit (April 18)

John Schelp bwatu at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 11 10:15:23 EDT 2007

Mayor’s Office

Dear Community Members

It is my pleasure to invite you to attend the "Durham
Lead Summit" which will be held in the City Council
chambers at Durham City Hall on April 18, 2007 from 6
to 8 p.m.

Last year, water samples with high lead levels from a
number of Durham residences heightened the awareness
of lead exposure hazards in our community.  To address
these concerns, community advocates, city officials,
county public health officials, community
organizations and organizations from local
universities formed the Durham Environmental Lead
Collaborative (DELC).

The Lead Summit is the first step towards
re-energizing a comprehensive childhood lead poisoning
prevention program in Durham.  We are dedicated to
working together within our community to improve and
expand public access to the numerous resources the
City, County and community groups have committed to
reducing lead exposure.  We will also work together to
coordinate and expand multiple public education
efforts, especially to those populations who are the
most vulnerable.

Participating members of DELC include the Durham City
Manager’s office; City of Durham Departments of
Community Development, Neighborhood Improvement
Services,  and Water Management; Durham County Health
Department; Partnership Effort for the Advancement of
Children’s Health; Durham Affordable Housing
Coalition; Durham People’s Alliance ; North Carolina
Children’s Environmental Health Branch; and the
Children’s Environmental Health Initiative at Duke
University.

Community input is vital to the success of this action
plan.  Together we can prevent lead poisoning in
Durham.  I hope to see you at Durham ’s Lead Summit on
April 18th.

Sincerely,
Mayor Bell