INC NEWS - News on I-40 & I-85

Mike Woodard mike at mikewoodard.com
Wed Apr 11 17:46:41 EDT 2007

Neighbors:

At this morning's Transportation Advisory Committee meeting, I
learned some things about the I-85 and I-40 projects I want to share.

1) The I-85 ribbon cutting scheduled for Monday, April 23 has been
postponed. NC DOT likes to schedule such ceremonies when the work on
a project is "substantially completed" (their term, not mine). While
work on I-85 is in the final phase, NC DOT's administration wanted to
be closer to completion before having the ceremony. No new date has
been set, but it will probably be held in June as work is wrapping up.

2) Many of you have contacted me about the "staging area" at the
15-501/147 juncture. This is place where the concrete "plant,"
various earth moving equipment, trucks, and other equipment are kept.
(Staging area is DOT's term, not mine. I have another name for it.
;-) ) Under the terms of DOT contracts, the paving contractor may
keep its equipment in a staging area as long as work is going on. DOT
officials expect that the staging area will remain in place until June.

3) The construction repair work began on I-40 Monday. Weekday
construction may only occur between 8 PM and 6 AM. The contractor may
also work on nine weekends from 8 PM Friday through 6 AM Monday. He
must identify those weekends and must avoid special event weekends,
including the "tax-free" weekend that precedes the beginning of the
school year.

Much traffic will be diverted from I-40 to 147-Durham Freeway
proceeding to I-85 then to the I-85/I-40 juncture. This will clearly
have an impact on the travel along 147 through the center of Durham.

Both NC DOT and The News & Observer have set up special websites to
report on the construction. The sites are:
http://www.ncdot.org/projects/i40repaving/
http://www.newsobserver.com/1538

I hope you find this information helpful. As I learn more, I will be
happy to share it.

As Sergeant Esterhaus used to say on Hill Street Blues: "Let's be
careful out there."

Please feel free to cost post to other listservs.

Mike Woodard
City Council