INC NEWS - Kids Vote Challenge

Mike - Hotmail mwshiflett at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 12 14:42:47 EDT 2007

Durham needs you to help prepare it's most valuable resource for the future: OUR CHILDREN!

One of the best ways to do this can be by involving yourself in Kids Vote and allowing students to learn about how our democratic works early on while they are still in school.

We (Kids Vote) are looking for volunteers and neighborhood associations to adopt their local precincts for the upcoming elections this fall.

I'm sending this out now, in April, to give everyone an opportunity to participate.  Please respond to Carolyn or go to the website (see below) for more information.

     Kids Voting Durham

            Durham Cooperative Extension

            721 Foster St.

            Durham, NC 27701

            919.560. 7321

            kidsvotingdurham at earthlink.net

            HOW TO GET INVOLVED

Kids Voting Durham is a nonprofit, nonpartisan effort that fosters active, well-informed citizens and future voters.  Students learn about and experience democracy through a combination of classroom activities, an authentic voting experience, and community & family dialogue.

Kids Voting Durham's work is possible only through its partnerships within the Durham community including schools, teachers, election officials, businesses, community leaders, and a corps of hundreds of dedicated volunteers.  You can be a part of this important work too.

u  ADOPT A PRECINCT

Your organization, student or school group, or parent/student team can "adopt" one or more of Durham's 55 precincts for Election Day, recruiting volunteers to staff the Kids Voting Polling site to collect and tally ballots on Election Day.  Adopting organizations are recognized at polling sites and in other Kids Voting publicity.

u  VOLUNTEER

Kids Voting relies hundreds of Durham volunteers to ensure that all our community's children receive a meaningful voting experience.   Volunteers are needed at the polls on Election Day, to help prepare supplies before election day, to serve as runners on election day, and to help Kids Voting with outreach activities year-round.

u  CONTRIBUTE

Local partnerships, along with the support Durham County, enable Kids Voting Durham to be a very cost-effective organization, providing educational and voting experiences to over 35,000 Durham County K-12 students for less than $1 per child. Kids Voting relies on local businesses and individuals for more than 70% of the revenue needed to run the program.

YES!, I would like to be a part of Kids Voting Durham by:

______  Adopting a precinct

________   Volunteering

_________  Contribution

Return this form to:  Kids Voting Durham / 721 Foster St. / Durham, NC 27701

Please makes checks payable to Kids Voting NC / Durham