INC NEWS - Solid and Yard Waste being mixed before transporting

scjdurham at aol.com scjdurham at aol.com
Fri May 25 11:56:49 EDT 2007

I realize that it takes a while to rebuild a department but am remembering when a certain Solid Waste management person remarked about the state of neglect and disrepair the Compost Taj Mahal was in.  It appears that the composting  and the composting educational effort has fizzled and whatever portion of the $10,000 allocated to this was money not well spent.  It also appears that the discussions about educating the public on maintaining their properties were just that, discussions.

However, as I drive through many older neighborhood's that surround downtown, I see yards with weeds knee high.  The yards pretty much stay the same week after week.  I see curb sides with the black plastic bags and piles of limbs that remain in place week after week.   Is this because there aren't enough people reporting weedy lots and dumped debris and only driving by them or because the processes to correct the problems requires weeks to effect  changes?  Or is it because the property owner refuses to buy the yearly tag for the brown cart.  Or is it all these things.

At one time we had a task force to address this issue composed of INC members, concerned citizens from various PAC's and Solid Waste representatives.  Some members of the group did quite a bit of research which was turned over to Solid Waste to help solve the problem.  Things dragged on.  Meetings were either scheduled at the last minute or canceled at the last minute by Solid Waste reps.  In the end it turned out that SW was working on a 10 year plan that they were required to do and I (I can't speak for the other representatives still hanging in there) felt like we had been sorely misled about the intent of and the expected outcome by SW of those meetings.

It's what, 3 years later and we're still talking about our yard waste problems and lack of minimal yard maintenance compliance dragging down the appearance of our neighborhoods.

Is our Neighborhood Improvement Services Department currently working with the Solid Waste Department and our Durham Live television group to address  this continuing problem?

If giving everyone yard waste pickup is too expensive right now, are we putting the thumb to everyone who is in obviously in non-compliance mode as forcefully as we legally can?  And are we actively informing our citizens about what is considered acceptable based on our current codes.  Are we encouraging individuals to help their elderly and/or infirm neighbors keep their yards up?  Are we publicizing where citizens can call to report poorly maintained properties, what constitutes a poorly maintained property and what the process and time table are to correct the problem.

Cheryl Shiflett