INC NEWS - proposed motorcycle parking fees in budget

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Mon Jun 4 14:03:29 EDT 2007

No idea how many folks on this list ride motorcycles, but listed in the
budget press release, the Manager said he wanted it changed parking
downtown (in garages) to $30/month. So if you're like most people, you
don't even know if that's an increase or a decrease of what is now
charged. It's a decrease (by $15 over what is currently charged; it's
currently the same fee as cars/trucks). And the Manager should be
applauded for his vision to make our City an easier place in which to
breathe!

But why not make it a better deal for those who would use less fuel,
create less air pollution, and take up less space. Surely 2 bikes can fit
in one space, maybe even 4 if you divide up the parking spaces better. I'd
like to use the (now unused) triangle lined spaces at the end of most
on-street-parking. But if you park there, you'll always get a ticket. So
you see motorcycles taking up one whole space even though it is
unnecessary. Recently, I parked near City Hall (in an area with 5 spaces)
in order to go to a meeting there. When I returned, another motorcycle had
taken another space. There were only 5 spaces there to start with and 40%
were filled with motorcycles. That wasted a great deal of space that was
sorely needed near City Hall. But because of the aggressive ticketing for
anyone who would try to do something better and more thoughtful, valuable
parking spaces were almost empty with the presence of just one motorcycle
in each of them.

So how many people will this "new-cheaper-fee" help? As sad as it is, only
about 5 (according to Parking Services) currently pay for monthly parking
of motorcycles in their monitored garages. But it might just be the
beginning of something that could become a big deal. As we all look to cut
our rate of fuel consumption (tell me we all think about this...), more
and more people are riding motorcycles, bicycles, and walking. And doing
anything to encourage less fuel use and better air quality by reducing
parking fees has to be a move in the right direction. Even DOT recognizes
the benefits of two-wheeled transportation and allows motorcycles to use
the HOV lanes in the larger traffic congested cities

So why not make it $20 a month for motorcycle parking in the garages. Even
free would be great! Reward those who would save gas and help to clean up
our air. Everyone is not lucky enough to get a free parking spot under
City Hall. We have to start somewhere. Why not make it cheaper to park so
more will ride two wheels than the customary four... It just makes good
cents.

RWP
27 Beverly