INC NEWS - proposed motorcycle parking fees in budget

Mike - Hotmail mwshiflett at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 5 12:14:11 EDT 2007

In 2005 I took the Motorcycle Safety Classes at Durham Tech and bought a quite 750 Nighthawk.

While the gas mileage benefit has cut my consumption to a third of what it used to be,  I've got to admit,  riding it around town (INC meetings) and sometimes back and forth to Raleigh has been a phenomenal thrill!

But it's not something that a lot of people will chose to do.

However,  creating incentives that will not greatly impact others is a great idea.

Making small 'adjustments' for motorcycles and non motorized bicycles along with mopeds definitely might make it easier for those that do drive to find parking spaces in a tight downtown where those of us who use these alternative modes of transportation might not need as much space (or nearly as many).

Besides bike racks, it might be worth looking into corrals and/or individual niches where a typical car wouldn't fit but these could!

As an occasional 'biker',  I see it as an option that encourages others to find ways to get there and eventually park along with enjoying the ride in between.

mike