INC NEWS - rough roads ahead

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Tue Jun 5 13:14:22 EDT 2007

Tired of all the bad roads we drive on around here? Well, it's just
something it looks like we'll have to live with if the current budget goes
through as written. We need to be spending $5M a year resurfacing our
streets just to keep them driveable (see how far behind we are
already...). If the budget goes through as written, half the amount
necessary ($2,5M; which was all that was requested) will be cut. And those
of you who have petitioned for sidewalks, well, let's just say that's just
a dream. Dirt streets will remain dirt and the roads we drive on will
continue to get worse. But the bright side is that the City will add 2
more pothole repair crews. I guess we'll need them since we won't be
resurfacing the streets...

Want to see it change? Nothing is written in stone until City Council
votes on the budget. And if you think we need better roads to navigate
through our community, now is the time to tell City Council. I know all of
us are tired of the roads beating us and our vehicles to pieces. Tell them
to fix the roads and we'll see what they do. We may be saving some money
here and there from various programs, but it's time we started putting
that money where the rubber meets the road (and fixing our streets before
they become too dangerous to drive). riding a bike, a motorcycle, and a
one-ton biodiesel truck around town, I am getting beaten to pieces.
perhaps you are as well. Thinking that the bond issue we passed a couple
of years ago will fix it all is a mistake. That money has all been
spent... We're left to continue to live with and drive upon what we have
until another influx of funding is found to correct the current problems.
That will never address the ongoing maintenance issues we have every year.

RWP
27 Beverly