INC NEWS - [dukepark] Re: map or definitions for Durham neighborhoods?

Mike - Hotmail mwshiflett at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 22 11:37:03 EDT 2007

This is a good map!

But I believe that there have been questions in the past (and conflicting
maps) regarding the northern boundaries of Duke Park up to West Club Blvd.

For years,  Cheryl and I have been delivering Northgate Park newsletters to
those homes along both the north and south sides of West Club between the 85
bridge and Duke Street.

We continue to do so because we've understood that the boundaries of NPNA
were established long before 85 was built and that these homes were
considered all part of the larger Northgate Park neighborhood.

At one time,  I've also heard that some residents of Trinity Park (and
homeowners in these homes) believed that they belonged inside the boundaries
of it's neighborhood!

Several years back when a number of PAC 2 people were asked to participate
in helping define the "Pearl Mill neighborhood" which included areas around
the southern tributary of Ellerbe Creek,  some 'outsiders' referred to this
area as no-mans land when referring to some of the blocks along Green and
Know Streets.

Many of us felt that it was an insensitive label and pushed for the moniker
Pearl Mill area which Jim Wise verified it as such.

Regardless,  this 'area' needn't be either categorized or labeled by anyone
else except by those that live in that area.

If it is determined that they are or are not in one neighborhoods 'official'
boundaries but want to be served by another or their own,  I believe that
they ought to serve their own best interests and organize themselves to make
that decision, with the rest of us offering support and encouragement.

Whether it means that we all gather together for an initial meeting (or
series of them) remains to be seen.

But it's be nice to have this issue finally resolved!

mike shiflett