INC NEWS - Events; documents available

Laura Drey lkdrey2 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 25 23:03:10 EDT 2007

I would like for people to pass the information I compile onto others.

I am always looking for feedback.  I want to know your recommendations.  As
you may have noticed as of now I am trying to color code items to help you
select items of interest.

-----------

Nearby cities served by Amtrak*

I enjoy traveling using Amtrak because I find it relaxing.  The seats have
plenty of leg room.  I can get up and walk around.  There is a dining car
with tables where can you can eat food you bring with you.  (One train has
snack food and drinks but the other one does not offer anything .) There is
not the stress of driving so I can spend time looking out the window and see
scenes I would not have if I had been driving --- towns, industry and farms.
I feel better about using mass transit and the cost comparison is not bad
given the price of gas.  See the attachment for suggestions for get aways
using Amtrak for day trips, for long weekends and vacations.

To do a day trip to High Point, Salisbury, Charlotte and other cities to the
south the train leaves Durham around 7:30 a.m. and arrives in Durham about
8:30 p.m. (The trip to Charlotte lasts about 2 and a half hours.)  Other day
trip possibilities are to Raleigh, Wilson and Rocky Mount.  There are also
Amtrak stations in Raleigh and Cary.

There is second Amtrak train that serves North Carolina and continues onto
New York City. From NYC you may transfer to a train that runs on to Boston.
A third train runs between Raleigh and Florida. A fourth route is from
Greensboro to Atlanta. (To go from Durham to Atlanta there is a long layover
in Greensboro.)

Durham¹s Amtrak station is at 400 W. Chapel Hill St., (near the corner of
Gregson & Chapel Hill Streets.)  For Amtrak schedules and fares call
1-800-USA-RAIL.

* I have put together a document with places to visit and web pages for each
city.

-----------

Events

Blue = art   Green = music & art   Red = music   Purple = music, art & info
Brown = play   Grey = film
Black = dance and other events   Underlined = outside of the Triangle   * =
Favorites

Carolina Theatre  560-3030  (including some children¹s¹ shows)
309 West Morgan St
Pick-3 series and single tickets.
Tickets for all events go on sale Tuesday, June 26 at 11 a.m.
Star Members save up to $5 off tickets for the best seats in the house!
www.carolinatheatre.org/onstage/  <http://www.carolinatheatre.org/tickets/>

--------

cbseymore <cbseymore at earthlink.net>

(new) Monday  june 25,   8 pm

DANCE in DURHAM

meet outside of Branch Gallery (401c Foster Street)
we will walk from Branch to the dance site
$8 suggested donation

down from BROOKLYN

--------

(new) Get a Clue About Your Body

Melissa Yanek, education outreach manager with Bodies Š The Exhibition will
present age-appropriate information about the human body as part of the
exhibition¹s community education outreach.

10:30 a.m. Monday, June 25, at Bragtown Community Library, 3200 Dearborn
Dr.; pre-registration is required, 560-0210.  On Thursday, June 28, at 10:30
a.m., the program will be presented at North Regional Library, 221 Milton
Road.    Thursday, July 12, at 2 p.m., the program is at Main Library, 300
N. Roxboro St.  Other July dates:  Monday, July 16, at 10:30 a.m., at East
Regional Library, 211 Lick Creek Lane; Monday, July 23, at 10:30 a.m., at
Stanford L. Warren Branch Library, 1201 Fayetteville St.; Thursday, July 26,
at 2 p.m., at Southwest Branch Library, 3605 Shannon Road; and Monday, July
30; at 2 p.m., at Parkwood Branch Library, 5122 Revere Road.

For more information:  Durham County Library
<http://www.durhamcountylibrary.org/> .   560-0172

---------

(new) June 28, 29, 30

Assembly: Rehearsing a Public Ritual for the Founding of the Land
of Apocryphy.

"On [], on the third anniversary of the [Founding
of the Land of Apocryphy], a re-enactment of the [rehearsal of the
public ritual] was
performed in [Durham]. Tens of thousands of workers,
students and artists had worked round the clock [...] to prepare the
performance, which took place just where the original event had
occurred.[...] Although this was theatre and not 'reality', the
[Durhamites] and sailors who took part played themselves." (Slavoj
[LOLO] Zizek).

Join us in a participatory evening of performance, sound, and
installation. For rehearsing, come prepared--in spirit, in heart, in
sneakers, and clothing you can work in.

Please join the lovely Sabri Reed (of Urban Anthropology fame), her brother
Jacob Reed (composer/music
theorist/jazz musician/trouble maker) and I.

Tickets: Pay what you can ($5 minimum). Door sales only; no credit cards
Bargain Festival Pass: 6 tickets for just $20

Manbites Dog Theater,
703 Foster Street, Durham

Info/directions: www.manbitesdogtheater.org or call 919.682.3343

Keep an eye out for the article in the Independant Weekly next Wednesday!!!

-------------

(new) Saturday, July 7

Stella, ³seven women with attitude,² and Lise Uyanik and the Mobile City
Band

Arts Center at 8:00 pm
Carrboro

----------

If you would like any of the following documents that I have written let me
know.

Red = Triangle  Grey = statewide  Pink = south  Blue = national  Green =
international

Information that has been revised and/or created during April through June
are:

North Carolina Travel

Charlotte by subject
Close by Cities Served by Amtrak
NC & VA Places to go
Wilson
Craft areas of NC
Columbia SC

Entertainment

Summer & Fall Festivals
Festivals2
Performances4
Classes6
Classes Durham

Stores/shopping

Stores Unique2
Plant Resources
Plant & Nursery Favorites

Organizations (local, statewide, national and international)

Organizations 2007
Organizations by Subject
Groups Triangle Based

Restaurants