INC NEWS - Act Now For NC's Future -- support the transfer fee or impact ...

TheOcean1 at aol.com TheOcean1 at aol.com
Mon Jul 16 21:34:46 EDT 2007

I hate to disagree so strongly with one of my favorite community activists,
but I must.

In fact, after reading your Melissa's letter, I'd suggest using the email
addresses below for exactly the opposite purpose, to ask our representatives to
oppose this bill.

Here's my reasoning:

While the county's impact fee was recently over ruled, I think it was well
aimed at new construction.
It is after all, the new families moving in that create the new burdens on
our school systems and infrastructure. This tax has a much greater effect on
the SELLER of property, than the newcomer moving in, as it is passed to the
seller in the selling price of real estate.

Even Melissa recognized this, with the exception she tried to include of
historic properties. But it's an "all or nothing at all" bill, and that
exception can not be incorporated. Sorry Melissa, but would you still support  this
bill if you knew that your friendly amendment can't be incorporated?

For that reason, far too much of this new burden would be borne by senior
citizens selling their almost historic home they built years ago, as  they try
to raise the needed funds to move to a retirement community, while  they pass
their homes to up and coming families. Those new families will  renovate those
older homes, while they add to the burden. Their entire  neighborhoods will
experience great gains in property values as multiple  properties change hands
in this way, and in each case it will be the exiting  senior citizen who's once
again paid the toll. This time, it happens at the time  they can least afford
it, at the tail end of them paying their "share" of the  burden, thirty years
after their children stopped adding to it.

No, I do NOT support this bill, and I hope others will join me in
opposition.

If Melissa's amendment could be included, then I'd agree she's right on
target. Taxing new construction logically places the burden where it's being
created, but as it is crafted, this bill unfairly burdens our senior citizens,
and discourages renovation and revitalization of areas of North Carolina, such
as East Durham.

Let's not discourage the private sector from undertaking the expensive and
risky investment they've shown willingness to make, in the most historic
sections of Durham, while we unfairly whack our elders with the expenses of  folks
who've noticed that our city tops a lot of lists as a smart place to live.
Let the incoming plants pay for the new top soil required.

Join me in opposition and let our representatives know how you feel.

Bill Anderson
(apologies to Melissa)

In a message dated 7/16/2007 8:36:49 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,