INC NEWS - Act Now For NC's Future -- support the transfer fee or impact

TheOcean1 at aol.com TheOcean1 at aol.com
Tue Jul 17 19:56:58 EDT 2007

If Melissa can get yes answers to both 1) and 2), you might see me switch
sides rapidly!
Bill

In a message dated 7/17/2007 4:51:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
mmr121570 at yahoo.com writes:

That is  my understanding of the legislation as well,
Chris. And that's the reason  for my support of the
transfer tax.

The alternative is waiting  longer for desperately
needed legislation with regard to the impact fee  (on
new development), and I fear that by then it will be a
mute point,  at least for Durham County (since there
will be little land left to  develop).

I presume the passage of the current transfer  tax
legislation will give Durham the ability to impose
such an impact  fee...that is, that the impact fee (on
new development) would be considered  a 'type' of
'transfer fee,' and thus would FINALLY be legal for
Durham  County. If this is the case, once the transfer
fee legislation is passed,  then we can lobby our
county gov't for imposition solely on new  development.

Some believe the transfer tax legislation is an all  or
none deal, but I'm still trying to get definitive
clarification on  this.

Since Orange and Person counties can already legally
impose  impact fees, it is only fair that other
counties be able to do so. Even  withdrawal of Orange
and Person counties' ability to impose  these
restrictive fees would not be fair to other counties,
since Orange  and Person have already financially
benefited from impact
fees for  years.

At any rate, I emailed our Durham County legislators
to ask  that, if they approve the transfer tax
legislation, they 1) exempt  renovators from this tax
and 2) exempt senior citizens who have lived in  the
county for 10 years or more.

At least one response has indicated  that negotiations
are still on the table, and that this request will  be
passed on to the legislators.

Thanks for the continued  discussion,
Melissa

--- Chris Sevick <csevick at verizon.net>  wrote:

> [...]
> seller in the selling price of real estate.</DIV>
>  <DIV> </DIV>
> <DIV>Even Melissa recognized this, with  the
> exception she tried to include of
> historic properties.  But it's an "all or nothing at
> all" bill, and that
> exception  can not be incorporated. Sorry Melissa,
> but would you still support
> this bill if you knew that your friendly amendment
> can't be  incorporated?</DIV>
> <DIV> </DIV>
>  <DIV>For that reason, far too much of this new
> burden would be  borne by senior
> citizens selling their almost historic home  they
> built years ago, as
> they try to raise the needed funds  to move to a
> retirement community, while
> they pass their  homes to up and coming families.
> Those new families will
>  renovate those older homes, while they add to the
> burden. Their entire
> neighborhoods will experience great gains in
> property values  as multiple
> properties change hands in this way, and in each
>  case it will be the exiting
> senior citizen who's once again paid the  toll. This
> time, it happens at the time
> they can least afford  it, at the tail end of them
> paying their "share" of the
>  burden, thirty years after their children
> stopped adding to  it.</DIV>
> <DIV> </DIV>
> <DIV>No, I do  NOT support this bill, and I hope
> others will join me in
>  opposition. </DIV>
> <DIV> </DIV>
>  <DIV>If Melissa's amendment could be included, then
> I'd agree  she's right on
> target. Taxing new construction logically places  the
> burden where it's being
> created, but as it is crafted,  this bill unfairly
> burdens our senior citizens,
> and  discourages renovation and revitalization of
> areas of North Carolina,  such
> as East Durham.</DIV>
> <DIV>  </DIV>
> <DIV>Let's not discourage the private sector  from
> undertaking the expensive and
> risky investment they've  shown willingness to make,
> in the most historic
> sections of  Durham, while we unfairly whack our
> elders with the expenses of
> folks who've noticed that our city tops a lot of
> lists as a  smart place to live.
> Let the incoming plants pay for the new top  soil
> required.</DIV>
> <DIV> </DIV>
>  <DIV>Join me in opposition and let our
> representatives know how  you feel. </DIV>
> <DIV> </DIV>
>  <DIV>Bill Anderson</DIV>
> <DIV>(apologies to  Melissa)</DIV>
> <DIV> </DIV></DIV>
>  <DIV>In a message dated 7/16/2007 8:36:49 P.M.
> Eastern Daylight  Time,
> mmr121570 at yahoo.com writes:</DIV>
> <BLOCKQUOTE
> style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px;
> BORDER-LEFT: blue  2px solid">>   style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"
write your legislators
>   regarding the right of local
governments to
>  impose transfer taxes and/or
>   impact
fees.

I  have also attached the
> letter I sent to the
>    members
of the General Assembly who represent
> Durham County  --
in case
>   you need some help to get started.

The
> email addresses for Durham
>    County
> Representatives
are:

Larryh at ncleg.net,
Winkiew at ncleg.net,
> Boba at ncleg.net,
>   Floydm at ncleg.net

Thank you for caring
>  :)
Melissa

Melissa
mmr121570 at yahoo.com

Note:

attached.

______
No

>   need to miss a message. Get email on-the-go

with Yahoo! Mail for Mobile.
>   Get  started.
http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail

______
Be

>   a PS3 game guru.
Get your game face on with  the
> latest PS3 news and
>   previews at Yahoo!

Games.

>   mmr121570 at yahoo.com via 209.191.68.144;

> Mon, 16 Jul 2007
>   16:06:20  -0700
>   mta371.mail.re4.yahoo.com   from=capstrat.com;

>    domainkeys=neutral (no sig)

boundary="-=-XCbound-1184627149"