INC NEWS - Act Now For NC's Future -- support the transfer fee or impact

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 17 23:30:12 EDT 2007

In this regard, it would help greatly if you would all
email our DUrham County legislators and tell them
that, you approve of the transfer tax legislation if
they:

 1) exempt renovators from this tax
and
 2) exempt senior citizens who have lived in the
county for 10 years or more.

I've already written them that these are the two big
problems that have been discussed by the INC (both at
meetings and on the listserv). Now let's bombard them
with emails from individual members of the INC, so
that they can see I'm telling the truth :)

The email addresses for Durham County Representatives
are:

Larryh at ncleg.net, Paull at ncleg.net, Mickeym at ncleg.net,
Winkiew at ncleg.net, Boba at ncleg.net, Floydm at ncleg.net

Melissa

Melissa Rooney
mmr121570 at yahoo.com

--- TheOcean1 at aol.com wrote:

> If Melissa can get yes answers to both 1) and 2),
> you might see me switch
> sides rapidly!
> Bill

> Daylight Time,
> mmr121570 at yahoo.com writes:
>
> That is  my understanding of the legislation as
> well,
> Chris. And that's the reason  for my support of the
> transfer tax.
>
> The alternative is waiting  longer for desperately
> needed legislation with regard to the impact fee
> (on
> new development), and I fear that by then it will be
> mute point,  at least for Durham County (since there
> will be little land left to  develop).
>
> I presume the passage of the current transfer  tax
> legislation will give Durham the ability to impose
> such an impact  fee...that is, that the impact fee
> (on
> new development) would be considered  a 'type' of
> 'transfer fee,' and thus would FINALLY be legal for
> Durham  County. If this is the case, once the
> transfer
> fee legislation is passed,  then we can lobby our
> county gov't for imposition solely on new
> development.
>

> Some believe the transfer tax legislation is an all
> or
> none deal, but I'm still trying to get definitive
> clarification on  this.
>
> Since Orange and Person counties can already legally
> impose  impact fees, it is only fair that other
> counties be able to do so. Even  withdrawal of
> Orange
> and Person counties' ability to impose  these
> restrictive fees would not be fair to other
> counties,
> since Orange  and Person have already financially
> benefited from impact
> fees for  years.
>
> At any rate, I emailed our Durham County legislators
> to ask  that, if they approve the transfer tax
> legislation, they 1) exempt  renovators from this
> tax
> and 2) exempt senior citizens who have lived in  the
> county for 10 years or more.
>
> At least one response has indicated  that
> negotiations
> are still on the table, and that this request will
> be
> passed on to the legislators.
>
> Thanks for the continued  discussion,
> Melissa
>
> --- Chris Sevick <csevick at verizon.net>  wrote:
>
> > Bill,
> >
> > I'm a bit confused by your  opposition to the real
> > estate transfer tax bill.  As I understand  it, if
> > the bill passes, it won't mean that the transfer
> tax
> >  will be imposed.  It just means that each NC
> county
> > will have the  authority to let it's residents
> vote
> > on whether or not to institute  the tax.
> >
> > Even if you oppose the tax, you should support
> this
> [...]
=== message truncated ===