INC NEWS - City Asks Residents to Report Storm Grate Thieves

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Fri Jul 20 15:07:52 EDT 2007

Press Release from the City Public Affairs Office.
RWP
27 Beverly

Residents Asked To Be Careful and Report Any Suspicious Activity

Durham, N.C. – Storm grate thieves have struck the City of Durham again in
recent days and City officials want residents to be careful and report any
missing grates or suspicious activity immediately to the Durham Police
Department.

According to Katie Kalb, director of the City’s Department of Public
Works, thieves stole 10 grates from two different areas of the city
yesterday. This recent theft is in addition to six grates reported missing
July 10. The thefts started in late April and to date, approximately 200
storm grates have been stolen.  “Our residents need to me mindful of where
they are walking to avoid falling into one of these uncovered stormwater
catch basins” Kalb said.  “If anyone sees a missing storm grate, we need
them to report it to 911 immediately.”

Kalb also wants residents to report any suspicious activity or people to
911 as well.  “These storm grates are either 24 inches by 36 inches or 15
inches by 63 inches in size, weigh approximately 200 pounds, and cover
holes that range from 3-to-10 feet deep.  It takes some effort to remove
these grates, so these thefts are blatant,” Kalb said.  “Residents need to
also remember that City vehicles are white and marked with both the City’s
logo and the department or division name, so if they see a plain white
vehicle with no City markings, don’t assume its City employees doing work
on that storm drain.”

According to Kalb, workers from the City's Street Maintenance Division
with the Department of Public Works are placing makeshift covers and
traffic cones around the exposed holes as they are reported until
permanent covers can be installed.