INC NEWS - FW: Provide your input on the region's future transportation system

pat carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 7 14:35:29 EDT 2007

A lot of folks on this list-serve probably got either e-mail or snail-mail
or both on this.  I copied the objective into text at the end of this
e-mail.

There will be 2 public workshops
Chapel Hill Public Library (Ground Floor), Thursday, August 30, 2007, 4:00PM
to 8:00PM; and,
Durham County Public Library (Downtown Auditorium), Tuesday, September 4,
2007, 4:00PM to 8:00PM.

There is also a fairly complicated survey where you can rate how important
different goals are to you
www.keysurvey.com/survey/162459/1712/

My initial comments:

* A continuing frustration is that Goal 1 says the transportation plan
should support the local land use plan -- it never seems to try to feed back
the idea that the local land use plan won't fly because we can't afford the
transportation needs it engenders (tho later goals address this somewhat)
*  None of the detailed objectives support the line in the first objective
about protecting neighborhoods
* You need to not only develop, but also monitor and enforce, "performance
standards that will measure the effectiveness of the urban area’s overall
transportation system in supporting access to goods, services, activities,
and destinations."
* I really like that they will have design standards that support [better
would be that encourage or enforce] safe speeds, and that they will be
looking for staff and resources for bike and pedestrian travel
* It's not just the "dust and noise" that is a problem in neighborhoods.  At
least in my neighborhood, it is the homicidal-speed.
* The goal of "community involvement" is good, but they should look at more
at how citizens can interact with other citizens to solve problems, spread
solutions, etc.
* After the Minnesota bridge collapse, we need a whole new section on
infrastructure safety and how robust the system is to loss of some
transportation segments.

Regards, pat

>From: "Henry, Andrew" <Andrew.Henry at durhamnc.gov>
>Subject: Provide your input on the region's future transportation system
>Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 17:12:20 -0400
>
>Hello,
>

>The Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro Metropolitan Planning Organization (DCHC
>MPO) programs the state and federal transportation projects in our
>region.  The DCHC MPO will adopt a set of Goals and Objectives that will
>guide the development of its future plans.  We want to encourage you to
>take a few minutes to complete an online survey, and review and comment
>on a draft of these Goals and Objectives to help us reflect our
>citizens' values in future transportation plans.  Please click on the
>following link to the DCHC MPO's Web site to participate.
>

>http://www.dchcmpo.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=53&Item
>id=35
>

>If you would like to participate but do not wish to use the Web site
>link, please contact Andy Henry, 560-4366, MPO Transportation Planner,
>for a copy of the Goals and Objectives and a feedback form.
>

>The review of our Goals and Objectives is among the first steps for
>developing a new long-range transportation plan.  We will keep you
>informed and involved as the other steps, such as project selection,
>approach.
>

>We thank for your time and efforts.
>

>Sincerely,
>

>Andy Henry
>
>City of Durham -- Transportation Division
>
>101 City Hall Plaza
>
>Durham, NC 27701
>

>(919) 560-4366 (tel)
>
>(919) 560-4561 (fax)
>
>andrew.henry at durhamnc.gov

2035 Long Range Transportation Plan
Draft Goals and Objectives

1. Overall Transportation System

Goal: A safe, efficient, attractive, multi-modal transportation system that:
supports
local land use; accommodates trip-making choices; maintains mobility;
protects the
environment and neighborhoods; and improves the quality of life for urban
area residents.
Objectives:
a) Establish performance standards that will measure the effectiveness of
the urban
area’s overall transportation system in supporting access to goods,
services,
activities, and destinations.
b) Select and program transportation projects, which are consistent with
community goals and are a cost-effective use of funds.
c) Develop and maintain a multi-modal regional transportation model that
reflects
travel patterns and incorporates innovative techniques for evaluating the
impacts
of proposed transportation investments on travel and land use patterns.
d) Promote non-automobile transportation alternatives and create efficient
connections between all transportation modes.
e) Conserve natural resources and reduce the rate of energy consumption.
f) Develop cooperative strategies with employers to reduce congestion and
increase
the efficiency of the transportation system.
g) Use transportation funds based on the priority needs of the urban area,
in
keeping with community values, and explore new funding options.
h) Seek additional funding to ensure implementation of the long range plan.
i) Monitor the implementation of the Plan and the targets through the
biannual
TIP process.

2. Multi-Modal Street and Highway

Goal: An attractive multi-modal street and highway system that allows people
and
goods to be moved safely, conveniently, and efficiently.
Objectives:
a) Establish performance standards and report on the condition and
effectiveness
of the multi-modal street and highway system.
b) Create multi-modal street patterns that: encourage safe pedestrian,
bicycle, and
vehicular travel; provide access to public transportation; and ensure
connectivity.
c) Develop and implement level of service (LOS) standards for the urban area
that
are based on a cooperative agreement between state and local agencies.
d) Preserve and enhance the traffic carrying capacity of arterial street
systems, while
minimizing traffic intrusion in residential neighborhoods.
e) Identify and recommend design standards that: establish safe speeds;
increase
pedestrian and bicycle usage of streets; and enhance the attractiveness and
appeal
of the street and highway system.

3. Public Transportation System

Goal: A convenient, accessible, and affordable public transportation system,
provided by public and private operators, that enhances mobility and
economic
development.
Objectives:
a) Establish performance standards and report on the condition and
effectiveness
of the public transportation system.
b) Increase public transit ridership by enlarging the service area and
increasing the
frequency of service to the urban area.
c) Coordinate transit service within the urban area by promoting high
quality,
seamless, integrated, and customer-friendly service.
d) Expand ridesharing, carpool, and vanpool services and opportunities.
e) Develop and implement alternatives to the use of single occupant
vehicles,
including high occupancy vehicle (HOV) facilities and regional rail
services.
f) Develop and implement the Regional Transit Plan.
g) Develop a regional park and ride system for cars and bicycles to support
transit
services and encourage ridesharing.
h) Ensure that the transportation needs of the youth and elderly, the
mobility
impaired, and the economically disadvantaged are met.
i) Identify and recommend land use patterns, parking requirements, and
development regulations, which create compact, mixed use, transit-friendly,
walkable development.
j) Identify and recommend ways that the state and the urban area should work
together to maintain and enhance the quality of public transportation
service
throughout the urban area.

4. Pedestrian and Bicycle System

Goal: A pedestrian and bicycle system that: provides an alternative means of
transportation; allows greater access to public transit; and supports
recreational
opportunities.
Objectives:
a) Establish performance standards and report on the condition and
effectiveness
of the pedestrian and bicycle system.
b) Develop and implement a Regional Pedestrian Plan.
c) Update and maintain the Regional Bicycle Plan.
d) Identify and recommend ways that local governments may provide adequate
staff
and resources to meet the goals of their pedestrian and bicycle programs.
e) Develop a regional bicycle and pedestrian policy that establishes
linkages
between activity centers and provides for access to public transit.
f) Ensure that bicycle and pedestrian facilities are included in the
planning, design,
and construction of roadways where applicable.
g) Increase education about the benefits of pedestrian and bicycle
alternatives.
h) Support the enforcement of pedestrian and bicycle regulations.
i) Pursue strong funding commitment for building both pedestrian and bicycle
facilities.
j) Provide greater safety for pedestrians and bicyclists of all levels of
ability, and
safer interaction with users of other modes of transportation.
k) Encourage the efforts and activities of citizen advocacy groups for
pedestrian
and bicycling by providing information and support for their programs.
l) Promote the construction of bicycle and pedestrian facilities that will
encourage
greater use of these modes by the public.

5. Integration of Land Use and Transportation

Goal: A Transportation Plan that is integrated with local land use plans and
development policies.
Objectives:
a) Establish performance standards and report on the integration and
consistency
of the Transportation Plan with local land use plans and development
policies.
b) Create transportation systems that enhance the livability of all
communities.
c) Identify and recommend land use patterns that improve and support
transportation efficiency.
d) Identify the impacts of different land use patterns and site designs on
travel
behavior.
e) Evaluate the changes in land use brought about by the expansion of
existing
transportation facilities and the construction of new facilities.
f) Identify and recommend land use patterns and development policies that
increase overall mobility and that support compact, mixed-use,
transit-friendly,
walkable development.

6. Protection of Natural Environment and Social Systems

Goal: A multi-modal transportation system which provides access and mobility
to all
residents, while protecting the natural environment, cultural resources, and
social systems.
Objectives:
a) Establish performance standards and report on transportation impacts on
the
natural environment, cultural resources, and social systems.
b) Protect and preserve archaeological, historic, and culturally valuable
areas.
c) Identify and protect environmentally sensitive areas early in the
planning process.
d) Develop and implement modifications to the transportation system that
reduce
the rate of growth in vehicle miles traveled (VMT).
e) Modify the transportation system to reduce the pollutants in highway
runoff and
the vehicle emissions, in accordance with federal, state and local Clean Air
and
Water legislation.
f) Minimize the noise and dust generated by transportation facilities in
neighborhoods and the urban area.
g) Preserve culturally diverse areas of the region.
h) Ensure that transportation facilities do not negatively effect
disadvantaged
populations disproportionately.

7. Public Involvement

Goal: An ongoing program to inform and involve citizens throughout all
stages of
the development, update, and implementation of the Transportation Plan.
Objective:
a) Establish performance standards and report on the effectiveness of the
public
involvement element of the Transportation Plan.
b) Encourage citizens to take a proactive role in the development of the
Transportation Plan.
c) Bring a broad cross-section of members of the public into the public
policy and
transportation planning decision-making process.
d) Educate the public and elected officials, in order to increase public
understanding of both the options and the constraints of transportation
alternatives.
e) Determine the public's knowledge of the metropolitan transportation
system,
and public values and attitudes concerning transportation.
f) Determine public concerns and/or perceived impacts of elements of the
Transportation Plan.
g) Determine which elements of the Transportation Plan would support or
diminish the public’s desired lifestyle.
h) Establish a channel for an effective feedback process.