INC NEWS - Don't Feed The Bears

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Wed Sep 19 01:51:24 EDT 2007

Somewhere along the line, the idea of what INC feels about panhandling (or
doesn't) has gotten lost. INC has never decided how it feels about
panhandling in Durham, much less charged anyone to move forward with a
campaign such as "Durham Can You Spare A Change". Sure it may seem like a
good idea, but INC has never supported any issue relating to panhandling;
one way or the other. We haven't supported a ban any more than we have
supported a change; we've never decided that as a group.

Back earlier this year, panhandling (or right-of-way solicitation) was
debated to some degree. In fact, the following resolution is still on the
table:

We, the membership of the Inter-neighborhood Council, support a change to
Durham's current solicitation ordinance that would bar solicitation from
rights-of-way in Durham.

We never acted on the above resolution and never came up with an alternate
resolution. In fact, we do not know what INC wants; to educate folks, to
ban solicitation, to increase license fees for those who panhandle to
$1000, to see pigs fly... We have never come to any resolution on it.

Yet we have this resolution in front of us for the next meeting that asks
for support of an educational campaign (that will cost thousands; it was
suggested at the last Executive Board meeting by a fellow Board member
that INC chip in $400 toward this effort) to try to get the public to quit
funding panhandling by not giving panhandlers money. It's a nice thought,
but changing the vast public views, as panhandlers stare at you in your
car window or accost you while walking down the street, just seems like a
waste of time. Not to mention the sheer numbers of people this campaign
would have to get the word out to in order to change anything.

Instead, why don't we, INC as a group, decide what we really want to do
about panhandling. Personally I'd like to see right-of-way solicitation
banned in Durham (both City and County). And if we can come up with a
decision as INC, there are only 12 people we need contact to express the
views of INC; 7 City Council members and 5 County Commissioners. Wouldn't
it be easier to change (or enact) an ordinance than to think about
changing the minds of 500,000 people (Durham and surrounds)? And once we
have let our respective political representatives know what we think as a
group, it's just a matter of them acting on our resolution. The County has
already been talking about a ban. I'm sure INC adding their 2 cents would
help it along. Then all we have is the City to follow the County and 12
people would have then done what half a million people would not do.
You're not going to stop people from giving to panhandlers. It's human
nature to care and give. You have to stop the panhandlers from
panhandling. That's just the only logical way to look at this.

Durham Can You Spare a Change is an admirable idea. But you're not going
to change human nature. It just won't happen; no matter how much
literature you distribute. Sure it looks good, but it really does very
little. Banning panhandling is the only way for there to be any definitive
resolution to the issue. I think if the item were to be put on the ballot
on November where by the public could decide, I think the public sentiment
is to never have to deal with panhandlers again. It just makes the City
look really bad with them standing on every corner. And some of them
aren't even from Durham, but they "work" here. One tells you he a disabled
vet (because he is missing a leg), but he never served in the military. He
lost his leg in a motorcycle wreck.

It's a shame we didn't move as an organization toward getting the item
into the public forum where voters could decide. That's what INC once
became known for; action not reaction. I think Durham can stand a change,
but it's not one that handing out any amount of literature with lists of
services and such will stop. It'll have to be legislated through our
governmental bodies to see anything happen that will change anything.

Remember the "Don't feed the bears" signs you see in all the parks where
bears live? It never seems to stop people from feeding them. Distributing
any amount of papers in the Spare a Change campaign will have the same
results. Nothing will change, no matter what you tell folks on the papers
you hand them.  They'll still want to feed the bears...

RWP
27 Beverly