INC NEWS - NewhopeforDurham

Mike - Hotmail mwshiflett at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 26 10:42:20 EDT 2007

I am repeatedly amazed by citizens creativity here in Durham in forming a group in response to a problem (another example below).

However,  with this amazement also comes a small feeling of disappointment in the fact that in many cases there already exists or existed an organization, community group, non-profit or neighborhood association that actual has worked on that same issue or is currently working to improve it.

Year after year,  new and exciting groups form around the elections to fight or advocate for more peace, less crime, more housing, increasing police and law enforcement (read immigration) resources and/or environmental issues.

Thing is,  in all of these instances,   there exists just such a group of concern citizens who would have loved to have more public support themselves.

You pick the topic and I'll bet we'll be able to come up with someone who's working to make it better, here in Durham!

I guess this is alright and probably the course in which most people feel and get 'connected' no matter how it's done.

But wouldn't it be great if we could all join together and work as a team?

I'm sure it would be more efficient.  I'm more than sure that the results might be longer lasting as in many instances as these new groups then either disband or diminish in strength as their particular issue plays out (win or lose).

To me,  it makes a difference in how 'we' respond to the next challenge, either in another Durham neighborhood or sometime in the future in that same neighborhood?

Mike Shiflett