INC NEWS - Panhandling Ban

TheOcean1 at aol.com TheOcean1 at aol.com
Sat Oct 6 17:29:26 EDT 2007

You're welcome Newman!
Just finished filming a segment for News17, set  to air at 6pm, 7pm, and 11pm.

Bill Anderson

In a message dated 10/6/2007 4:38:50 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
newman at nc.rr.com writes:

Thank you, Ken, Risa,  Bill and all those who have worked on developing the “
Can You Spare A Change”  campaign.  What I like most about your approach, is
that you have  partnered with the organizations that have the ability to make a
difference in  the lives of the panhandlers and provide our county with the
best chance of  getting the panhandlers off the streets.  As we have seen from
the  efforts of other cities that have implemented bans, they have not been
successful in addressing this problem.  (This information has been  discussed
in great detail on the INC, PAC2 and DISC lists over the past two  years.  I
refer those interested in the specifics to review the  archives.)
Durham has a history of  developing innovative solutions to problems, and I
believe that your campaign  actually has a chance of working.  Unlike the
proposed ban, which if  enforced (which is highly unlikely), would only serve to
unnecessarily divert  law enforcement resources and further exacerbate the
overcrowding in our jail,  your campaign doesn’t cost the taxpayers any money and
actually has a good  chance of succeeding because it addresses the root causes
of the  problem.
We already know from a review of our current arrest records  that some of the
individuals most frequently arrested in Durham are panhandlers  arrested
under laws and ordinances that are already on the books.  In  Durham,  frequent
arrests of panhandlers (at great expense to taxpayers, I might add)  have not
served to deter the panhandlers.
I hope our county  commissioners will bring the proposal to a vote and see
the wisdom to vote  against the proposed ban.
Cheers.
Newman

In a message dated  10/5/2007 4:20:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,