INC NEWS - DRAFT September minutes

pat carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 7 16:41:25 EDT 2007

Inter-Neighborhood Council
www.DurhamINC.org
Minutes of Meeting of September 25, 2007

REPRESENTATIVES PRESENT
David Harris    Old Farm Neighborhood Association
Randy Pickle    Forest Hills
Renee Lord    Forest At Duke
Marguerite Ward    Forest At Duke
Scott Carter    Woodcroft
Jay Levy    Forest Hills
Terry Allebaugh    Housing for New Hope
Kathleen Snyder    Burch Avenue
Fran Lerner    Colony Park
Beverly B. Thompson    City of Durham
Julie Brenman    City of Durham
Patrick Baker    City of Durham
Katie Kalb    City of Durham
Bill Anderson    Duke Park
Jim Ellenson    Old North Durham
Kimberley Caulfield & Emily Miller    Durham Symphony Orchestra
Janet Hitti    Parkwood
Linda W. Hobson    Five Oaks / Lakeside
Phillip Barron    Old West Durham
Barbara Baker    Durham Technical Community College
Julie Ketner Rigby    Museum of Life & Science
Heidi Carter    DPS School Board
Ellen Reckhow    Durham County
Steve Toler    Durham Co. Bond Referendum
Rosemarie Kitchin    Falconbridge
Amanda Arrington    N. Garrett Road
Deanna & Colin Crossman    Walltown
Dolly & Frank Pohrass    Cleveland / Holloway
Ken Gasch    Colonial Village
Pat Carstensen    Cross County
Lorisa Seibel    Durham Affordable Housing
Edy Thompson    10 Yr. Plan to End Homelessness
Lanea Foster    10 Yr. Plan to End Homelessness
Craigie Sanders    Grove Park
Wanda Boone    Partnership for a Healthy Community
Earl Boone    Durham NC TRY

Introductions – President-elect Ken Gasch opened the meeting.  Members introduced themselves.

Bond Referendums – The bonds will position us for growth.  Riverside is 500 (1/2 a school) over capacity.  Half of the school bond $$ would go to new schools.  To keep pace, we may need another bond in 3 years.  We have adopted guidelines that building will be done sustainably.  Durham Tech is continuing to grow.  The Museum of Life and Science has been very active in raising private money, but there are needs, such as a place for kids getting of school buses to visit restrooms, that are hard to raise private money for.  Because of 2005 city bond referendum, 41% of city streets are not good or very good, but about 40% are still poor or very poor.  Past budgets have added new street crews so we will not be falling behind in the future, but still need to catch up.  So the city bond referendum has $15M for street repair, $2M for unpaved streets, and $3M for sidewalks.

10 Year Plan to End Homelessness – Managing homelessness is costly and leaves a lot of people without homes.  Many cities have developed plans that look at why people are homeless and what their needs are.  There are 4 teams working on different aspects of the problem.  See http://endhomelessnessindurham.org for more information. Volunteers are needed for Project Homeless Connect on October 25.  We also got information on Housing for New Hope.

Durham Can You Spare a Change – We will vote on the attached resolution in October.

Officers for 2007-08 – We accepted the report of the Nominations Committee and will vote on the following slate at the October meeting: Ken Gasch as President, David Harris as Past-President, Craigie Sanders as President-Elect, Myers Sugg as Treasurer, Deanna Crossman as Secretary, and Amanda Arrington, Risa Foster and Leslie Page as Delegates-At-Large.

Other Items
1.    We accepted the August minutes and the treasurer’s report that we have $505.07 in checking, $2118.01 in savings.
2.    A number of organizations are organizing stream clean-ups as part of Big Sweep on October 6.
3.    DAHC Annual Town Meeting is October 20.
4.    No date yet for the Hero Award event.
5.    If a PAC objects to an alcohol permit, the objection must be in writing, filed within 15 days of being notified and be based on the approved criteria.  We will be looking at improved processes for this.
6.    The Office of Economic and Workforce Development is starting a process on streetscape design in Targeted Neighborhood Commercial Areas.
7.    Come to the Benefit Concert for unchaining dogs. www.unchaindogs.net
8.    Finals for Central Park Croquet Tournament are coming up.

The meeting was adjourned.

A RESOLUTION OF THE INTERNEIGHBORHOOD COUNCIL EXPRESSING
SUPPORT FOR “DURHAM CAN YOU SPARE A CHANGE” Campaign;

WHEREAS, in response to the intricacy associated with what has been described by some Durham citizens as “panhandling;” and

WHEREAS, the Interneighborhood Council represents a vital component of the community (our neighborhoods) and has the best interest of the entire community in mind; and

WHEREAS, the Interneighborhood Council’s Panhandling Task Force, comprised of INC board members and delegates, along with the assistance and insight of Durham leaders, citizens, nonprofits, and churches, looked at campaigns used in other communities, talked with one another, discussed the campaign, our concerns, accomplishments, and outcomes and we all have expressed a need for compassion, tolerance and diversity; and

WHEREAS, the goals of the task force are:

•    to create alternative ways of giving.  This campaign is not about saying ‘no’ to panhandlers or about decreasing the public’s compassion towards panhandlers.
•    to encourage citizens to donate their time, their money, and themselves, to local organizations that offer services such as meals, shelters, job training, rehabilitation, mental health, and health care.
•    to ensure people in need have access to food, shelter and other basic services through charitable and governmental agencies.
•    to discourage unacceptable, threatening behavior and panhandling in Durham through education, compassion, interaction, and legal means.

WHEREAS, The “Durham Can You Spare A Change” campaign seeks to:

•    educate ourselves and our community on giving, sharing, and donating; and to think of alternative ways to do this.
•    create and foster an environment that encourages communication, compassion, respect, and support for all members of our community; and

WHEREAS, we do believe that through education, caring, and giving we can help keep Durham’s public places comfortable and safe for all its citizens;

NOW THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the delegation of the Interneighborhood Council, Durham, NC supports the INC’s Panhandling Task Force program called “Durham Can You Spare A Change.”

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the Interneighborhood Council urges all Durham citizens, leaders, and their community to participate in the education and enhancement efforts of this campaign to make a positive difference in the lives of all people in Durham.