INC NEWS - Let's talk about SAFETY only

Anne Guyton annemguyton at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 9 11:58:09 EDT 2007

The question of pedestrian safety begins with attitude and bias - currently the laws, attitudes and bias of drivers puts cars first and pedestrians so far down the list that most drivers are shocked to see a pedestrian.  Things I don't believe the Durham Pedestrian Plan addresses that could be easily done now:

1.    Prohibit and enforce a ban on sidewalk parking.  Daily I see pedestrians (even wheelchairs) downtown forced into oncoming traffic because cars and trucks are parked on the sidewalk.  Somehow its better to impact a pedestrian than inconvenience other cars.

2.    Put loading zoning parking downtown.  Our newly redone streets inside the loop don't include loading zones.  In particular the civic center is a problem, their loading dock has been taken over for employee smoking and storage.

3.   Protected walkways for construction.  Check out the parking deck & theatre construction on Magnum Street or Main Street at Legget & Meyers.  Remember the DOT 85 Bridge construction on Club that closed the sidewalk and trail for over 2 years.  In all these cases the first time someone came across this was the last time they walked there, simply too dangerous.

4.    No turn on red downtown, pedestrian crossing as a light cycle.  Daily I jay walk or go against the signal so I'm in the intersection where I can be SEEN by cars since most drivers are parked in the crosswalk and turn without looking for a pedestrian.  This wouldn't be necessary if drivers here reacted the way the do in California, where 8 lanes of traffic will come to a screeching halt when a pedestrian puts their big toe in the road.

Think about being a pedestrian, coming on these unexpected hazards
where no provision has been made for you safety and ask yourself if
you'd every walk there again?

If we're serious about encouraging pedestrians and bicycles we must put pedestrians first and not last, until then folks will stay in their cars.

Respectfully,

Anne Guyton