INC NEWS - Jordan Lake: Durham's water supply in drought conditions

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 22 14:42:55 EDT 2007

After having some communication about this topic, I
just wanted to clarify something for people (as it was
recently clarified to me):

It is true that, typically, Durham's water supply
comes from Lake Michie and Little River Lake. However
it is not true that Jordan lake does not supply Durham
with water.

It is my understanding that the calculations for the #
of days for which Durham has water, include supplies
from Jordan Lake as our secondary/back-up water
source.

See the following webpage/document by planning
commission chair, George Brine, specifically:

"The City of Durham has a reciprocal agreement with
Cary where-by one municipality will supply water to
the other if needed (e.g., as in case of drought).
Thus, Jordan Lake is a backup water source for the
City of Durham.  The DWQ primary classification of the
lake is Water Supply IV (WS-IV)."

See the full context of this quote at the following
link:

http://www.geocities.com/durhammassgrading/Jordan_Lake_Information.doc

Thanks for giving me a chance to clarify this.
Melissa