INC NEWS - Morreene Road development

pat carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 25 22:27:59 EDT 2007

I just happened to see the following "guest opinion" piece in the Herald Sun.

http://www.heraldsun.com/opinion/columnists/guests/68-892019.cfm

by the folks trying to build a "commercial neighborhood" building in the Morreene Rd. neighborhood.

It concludes:
"At the end of the day, if the Planning Department's evolving discretion
and our immediate neighbors' passions won't allow D&L to become
operational at the site, we will be forced to sell to the highest
bidder. The highest bidder could be a late-night convenience store or a
night club serving folks who stay up much later than we do."

I find the threatening tone appalling.  Behavior like this is why neighborhoods treat any development in their area as a threat.  It also shows why all Durham neighborhoods need a type of zoning that permits useful commercial enterprises that will serve the neighborhood while controlling the size, lights, traffic, and so on that keep it at a scale appropriate to a neighborhood.

Regards, pat