INC NEWS - short answer to a long question: Adequate Public Facilities Or...

TheOcean1 at aol.com TheOcean1 at aol.com
Tue Oct 30 12:31:12 EDT 2007

Mike is so right, it hurts.

If we had just one dollar for every committee and task force, with  important
sounding names, who's good work went unused...... we could probably  pave
several streets or build a school.

While there is much to rejoice about, our tendency to produce "all show,  and
no GO!" is still an Achilles heel for Durham. And that which we applaud has
cost us dearly.

In an over simplified example, compare the city to your own home. Yes, you
like the new deck that's finally been completed, but if it took three years and
 $75,000, we'd all know something was wrong. How many of us can spot such
craziness when the price tags are in the billions?

How many of us have the knowledge to question the price tag of a pool
costing millions? We might avoid being ripped off by pointing to a building that  we
can buy for half that, that contains a pool, but we never seem to grow any
smarter. We're too busy bracing for the next error to avoid.

Sometimes it seems like we can never relax out on our over-priced deck,
because we need to be in the front yard, defending against some idiot offering  to
paint our house for a mere $200,000.

Today's riddle: How many volunteer hours are required of devoted citizens,
to defend against the advice of high priced consultants, to keep us from
blowing  ridiculous sums.

Keep the answer handy, you'll need it again next month.

Bill Anderson

In a message dated 10/30/2007 10:48:34 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,