INC NEWS - Durham Symphony November 4 Concert and Painted Violin Fundraiser

Ellen Dagenhart dagnhrt at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 1 08:45:55 EDT 2007

>From: Durham Symphony Orchestra <durham_symphony at yahoo.com>
>Subject: Fwd: Durham Symphony November 4 Concert and Painted Violin Fundraiser
>
>The Durham Symphony Orchestra
>presents their
>Fall Classical Concert
>Fundraiser for the Center for Child and Family Health
>featuring guest artist Shana Blake Hill, Soprano
>artist sponsored by Ellen Dagenhart, Realtor
>
>November 4th, 5:30pm, Carolina Theatre
>309 West Morgan Street, Downtown Durham
>
>Schubert, Symphony #5
>Wagner, Procession of Die Meistersinger
>Wagner, Rienz Overture
>Handel, Ombra mai fu
>Bellini, Casta Diva-Norma
>Villas Lobos, Bacchianas Brasilleras
>Mozart, Martern aller Arten
>
>For tickets 560-2736
>$25 Adults, $10 Students, Children 12 and under FREE
>Group rates available for 10 or more; $20 and $8
>Tickets are also available at the Carolina Theatre Box Office
>
>~ Check out our Painted Violin Fundraiser ~
>Four unique violins painted by local artists.
>Violins are on display at the Durham Arts Council.
>Tickets are $5 each or 7 for $32 in honor of our 32nd Season.
>Purchase your tickets before December 1st.
>  PO Box 1993 ~ Durham, NC 27702
>560-2736 ~ office at durhamsymphony.org
><http://www.durhamsymphony.org/>www.durhamsymphony.org
>
>‘A Day in the Life of Smiley’ by Emily Weinstein (see attached photos)
>‘J’y suis Jamais Alle’ by Åndria Linn (see attached photos)
>
>‘Ode to DSO’ by Patti Thomas (see attached photos)
>
>‘Tatooed Violin’ by Guy Aitchison and Michele Wortman (see attached photos)
>‘Tatooed Violin’ will be auctioned online (date
>TBD). If you would like to be contacted with
>auction information, please email me and I will
>get you the information when it becomes available.
>
>  For more information about the Center for Child and Family Health,
>please visit their website at
><http://us.f571.mail.yahoo.com/ym/www.ccfhnc.org>www.ccfhnc.org
>
>Shana Blake Hill, Soprano (see attached photo)
>
>Shana Blake Hill continues to excite audiences
>and critics alike this as she proves herself a
>multifaceted performer in both the operatic and
>orchestral repertoires. Of her recent debut
>singing composer Bright Sheng’s “The Phoenix”
>with The Philadelphia Orchestra under Charles
>Dutoit, The Saratogan exclaimed, “Shana Blake
>Hill was amazing in this very difficult soprano
>role
her richly colored tone lent dignity and a
>sense of awe to the tale
she was a mesmerizing
>presence”.  Profiled in the Los Angeles Times as
>"an intense young soprano...a standout,” and by
>The Forum as “a future opera superstar
” Shana
> [...]
>Pasadena Symphony, and the California Philharmonic.
>
>Especially at home with contemporary music, some
>of Ms. Hill's World Premiers and projects
>include: Bright Sheng’s The Phoenix for soprano
>and orchestra, Sakagawea in Michael Ching’s
>opera Corps of Discovery on the Louis and Clark
>expedition, Sally Hemings in Glenn Paxton's
>opera Monticello on the controversial personal
>life of Thomas Jefferson, Ticie in On Gold
>Mountain, an opera by Nathan Wang commissioned
>by Los Angeles Opera on the novel by best
>selling author Lisa See, Sara's Diary: 9/11, a
>dramatic song cycle on prose by Pulitzer Prize
>winning journalist Leroy Aarons for live radio
>broadcast, Grammy award winning composer Peter
>Boyer's On Music's Wings for soprano, orchestra
>and 300 children and both the roles of Rosalba
>and Florencia Grimaldi  in Daniel
>Catan’s  acclaimed opera Florencia en el Amazonas.
>
>In the genre of film Ms. Hill was chosen by
>legendary film composer Jerry Goldsmith to
>record the title track "The Mission" which opens
>Paramount's Blockbuster film The Sum of All
>Fears, starring Ben Affleck and Morgan
>Freeman.  Amazon.com remarks in their review of
>the soundtrack CD, "what sets it apart is the
>operatic performance of Shana Blake Hill...a
>stirring opening which proves to be the
>highpoint of the score."  Ms. Hill’s performance
>of “The Mission” was recently chosen to be part
>of Paramount Studio’s newly released 90th
>Anniversary Favorite Soundtrack Compilation
>CD.  Other media credits include solos on the
>soundtracks of the feature film “Red Dirt” and
>the Sci-Fi Series “Seven Days to Midnight”.
>
>Highlights of Ms. Hill’s recent engagements and
>notable upcoming events include: Bright Sheng’s
>“The Phoenix” with The Philadelphia Orchestra
>and Charles Dutoit, Bright Sheng’s “The Phoenix”
>with The Seattle Symphony and Gerald Schwartz
>(recording), Berlioz Romeo and Juliet with
>Louisville Symphony, Bruckner Te Deum with The
>New West Symphony and Boris Brott, “Der Hirt auf
>dem Felsen” with The Pasadena Symphony, Mahler 4
>and Canteloube’s “Chants D’Auvergne” with Jorge
>Mester and the Pasadena Symphony (also with The
>Naples Philharmonic), Mozart’s Mass in C with
>Pasadena Symphony, opera arias with the Durham
>Symphony, Sakagawea in Michael Ching’s Corps of
>Discovery with Fargo Moorhead Opera, Countess
>Almaviva in Le nozze di Figaro with Opera
>Southwest, and Cio cio san in Madama Butterfly
>with the Bryan Symphony. Ms. Hill also appears
>in recital, in North Carolina, Maine,
>Pennsylvania and Vermont, with The Jacaranda
>Series in Los Angeles, and as a Coca Cola Artist
>in Residence at Emory University in Atlanta.
>
>Born in North Carolina and raised in the
>Philadelphia area, Ms. Hill received her
>Bachelor of Music degree from the Oberlin
>Conservatory of Music, her Master of Music from
>The University of Southern California Thornton
>School of Music, and is an Alumna of The Los
>Angeles Opera’s Resident Artist program.

Ellen M. Dagenhart, ABR, e-Pro, GRI
MailTo:dagnhrt at mindspring.com
Marie Austin Realty, Durham, NC
http://www.marieaustin.com
Office  919-286-5611  FAX  919-286-2252  Cell 919-475-1719

  <file://C:\Program%20Files\Qualcomm\Eudora\Mail\attach\durham_great_240.jpg>
[]

Check it out! http://www.durham-nc.com/www.wheregreatthingshappen.com