INC NEWS - DRAFT October minutes

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 2 07:41:23 EDT 2007

Thanks to Deanna Crossman for taking over 1/2 the notes.  Please let me know of any corrections.

Thanks, pat

Inter-Neighborhood Council
www.DurhamINC.org
Minutes of Meeting of October 23, 2007

REPRESENTATIVES PRESENT
David Harris    Old Farm Neighborhood Association
Annette Smith    Durham Parks and Recreation
Renee Lord    Forest At Duke
Marguerite Ward    Forest At Duke
Scott Carter    Woodcroft
Jay Levy    Forest Hills Neighborhood Assn.
Joe Chambliss    Forest Hills Neighborhood Assn.
Cheryl Shiflett    Northgate Park NA
Michael Shiflett    Northgate Park NA
Susan Sewell    TLNA
Becky Heron    APS
Christine Danko    APS
Bob Newlin    CROP
Bill Anderson    Duke Park
Risa Foster
David Kelly    CH Neighborhood Association
Sophia Yang    CH Neighborhood Association
Chris Reed    CH Neighborhood Association
Samantha Perlman    CH Neighborhood Association
Aisha Turner    CH Neighborhood Association
Nancy O. Gallman    Old West Durham
Amanda Arrington    N. Garrett Road
Deanna Crossman    Walltown
Colin Crossman    Walltown
Ken Gasch    Colonial Village
Pat Carstensen    Cross County
Craigie Sanders    Grove Park

Introductions – President David Harris opened the meeting.  Members introduced themselves.

Partnership for a Healthy Durham – Nancy Bryan gave information on the Partnership for a Healthy Durham, which provides access to medical care and mental health services.  Lots of information is on their website, www.PartnershipForAHealthyDurham.com.  She is available to talk with groups, churches, or associations about mental health services that are available and what mental illness looks like.  Her number is 942-4033.  They are also always looking for volunteers/workers to help with their cause.

Animal Protection Society – Christine Danko from the Durham APS said their educational committee is happy to go anywhere to talk about animal care, spay/neutering, what to know before getting a pet, etc... The Durham APS places approx 7,000 pets/year and can house between 200-300 cats and dogs at a time.  The #1 way to reduce unwanted pets is to spay/neuter.  The Durham APS has pictures of featured pets on their website with detailed descriptions.  Most of the animals they receive are strays, some are surrendered - they do not turn an animal away.  The APS performs temperament testing, counseling, bite quarantines, and many other services listed on their site.  To adopt a cat is $95 and dog $120.  NOTE: if you find a stray animal in your neighborhood, please call animal control or take to the APS so that they can be scanned for microchip.  If they don't have one and you are interested in fostering or adopting, that's possible.

Water supply status -- The Gov requests everyone cut water usage by 1/2.  There is now no outdoor irrigation.  On www.WaterUseItWisely.com, there are 101 water saving tips you can employ and should consider implementing.  Please check for and fix leaky faucets!  We have seen a 21% reduction in water usage overall.  The city is working with large companies to reduce usage even further.  If you see water violations, call Durham OneCall.

Durham Can You Spare a Change – Resolution (in attachment) was voted and passed.  It was passed to donate $400 to the campaign.

Remaining 2007 Meetings – Currently, there is a November meeting scheduled for the 4th Tuesday, as always, and no December meeting.

Officers for 2007-08 – The following were elected as officers: Ken Gasch as President, David Harris as Past-President, Craigie Sanders as President-Elect, Myers Sugg as Treasurer, Deanna Crossman as Secretary, and Amanda Arrington and Leslie Page as Delegates-At-Large.  Risa Foster was appointed to fill third Delegate-at-Large position pending a question about by-laws.

Other Items
1.    We accepted the September minutes.  Randy has provided following treasurer’s report: checking = $576.20, savings = $2000.
2.    No date yet for the Hero Award event.  There were 29 nominations, and about 16 were chosen.
3.    Neighborhood Summit will not happen until Februrary.
4.    Dec 1 is the Holiday Parade.  December 11 is Senior Holiday Party.  Construction in East End Park is finishing up, and they will soon start construction of bridge at West Point and general construction at Oval Park.
5.    The Night of Lights will probably be on different dates in different neighborhoods.
6.    CROP walk – Durham has 2nd or 3rd largest.  25% of funds raised stay in Durham.  Neighborhoods could be participating.  See www.durhamcropwalk.org.
7.    Street trees and Duke Power might be an issue to put on future agenda.

The meeting was adjourned.

A RESOLUTION OF THE INTERNEIGHBORHOOD COUNCIL EXPRESSING
SUPPORT FOR “DURHAM CAN YOU SPARE A CHANGE” Campaign;

WHEREAS, in response to the intricacy associated with what has been described by some Durham citizens as “panhandling;” and

WHEREAS, the Interneighborhood Council represents a vital component of the community (our neighborhoods) and has the best interest of the entire community in mind; and

WHEREAS, the Interneighborhood Council’s Panhandling Task Force, comprised of INC board members and delegates, along with the assistance and insight of Durham leaders, citizens, nonprofits, and churches, looked at campaigns used in other communities, talked with one another, discussed the campaign, our concerns, accomplishments, and outcomes and we all have expressed a need for compassion, tolerance and diversity; and

WHEREAS, the goals of the task force are:

•    to create alternative ways of giving.  This campaign is not about saying ‘no’ to panhandlers or about decreasing the public’s compassion towards panhandlers.
•    to encourage citizens to donate their time, their money, and themselves, to local organizations that offer services such as meals, shelters, job training, rehabilitation, mental health, and health care.
•    to ensure people in need have access to food, shelter and other basic services through charitable and governmental agencies.
•    to discourage unacceptable, threatening behavior and panhandling in Durham through education, compassion, interaction, and legal means.

WHEREAS, The “Durham Can You Spare A Change” campaign seeks to:

•    educate ourselves and our community on giving, sharing, and donating; and to think of alternative ways to do this.
•    create and foster an environment that encourages communication, compassion, respect, and support for all members of our community; and

WHEREAS, we do believe that through education, caring, and giving we can help keep Durham’s public places comfortable and safe for all its citizens;

NOW THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the delegation of the Interneighborhood Council, Durham, NC supports the INC’s Panhandling Task Force program called “Durham Can You Spare A Change.”

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the Interneighborhood Council urges all Durham citizens, leaders, and their community to participate in the education and enhancement efforts of this campaign to make a positive difference in the lives of all people in Durham.