INC NEWS - Amtrak, long distance and day trips

Laura Drey lkdrey2 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 21 12:03:56 EST 2007

I enjoy traveling using Amtrak because I find it relaxing.  The seats have
plenty of leg room.  I can get up and walk around.  There is a dining car
with tables where can you can eat food and hang out.  (One train has snack
food and drinks but other one that only travels within North Carolina offers
every passenger a free bag of chips and drink.) I can see scenes I would not
have if I had been driving --- interiors of towns, within North Carolina
offers every passenger a bag of chips and drink.) I can see scenes I would
not have if I had been driving --- interiors of towns, industry and farms. I
feel better about using mass transit and the cost comparison is not bad
given the price of gas.

To do a day trip to High Point, Salisbury, Charlotte (and other cities to
the south) take the train that leaves Durham around 7:30 a.m. and arrives in
Charlotte about 10:30 a.m..  Than depart Charlotte at 5:30 p.m. and return
to Durham about 8:30 p.m.  Another day trip is to travel to Raleigh, Wilson
or Rocky Mount.

There is second Amtrak train that serves North Carolina and continues on to
Washington D.C., Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York City and other
destinations. From NYC you may transfer to a train that continues onto
Boston. A third train runs between Raleigh and Florida. A fourth route runs
from Greensboro to Atlanta. (To go from Durham to Atlanta there is a long
layover in Greensboro.)

Durham Amtrak station
400 W. Chapel Hill St., (near the corner of Gregson & Chapel Hill Streets)
outskirts downtown Durham
For Amtrak schedules and fares call 1-800-USA-RAIL.  There are also stations
in Raleigh and Cary.

Laura