INC NEWS - X-mas trees, w/out pesticides and sustainably-grown or support TRAOSA

Laura Drey lkdrey2 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 21 12:00:54 EST 2007

Christmas trees and wreaths

My personal preference for a Christmas tree is to get a live tree.  (I have
problems with a tree growing for 10 ­15 years, than cutting them down to be
used for only few weeks.)  A caution is to to be sure that the trees will
grow in this climate and do not need a colder weather.  Also if you buy a
real tree I recommend not leaving the tree inside the house for more than a
week or two to help it survive in the ground.

Cut and live Christmas trees take care.  I suggest that trees are kept
watered to minimize their causing a fire, especially if you purchase the
trees early in the season.

Last year I bought a tree that was later planted in a city park. Due to the
drought this year Durham is not planting any trees.

----

PESTed is here to help you get ready for the holidays with the groups annual
guide to buying Christmas trees and wreaths sustainable grown in North
Carolina. PESTed compiled a list of sources, as well as some links for more
information on Christmas trees, pesticides and farmworkers in NC.  Your
purchase of a tree or wreath grown locally without pesticides makes a
difference in more ways than one - you'll be protecting your family from
pesticide residues, protecting Christmas tree workers and their families,
and supporting local growers who respect their workers and our environment.

To learn where to get organic and sustainably-grown Christmas Trees and
wreaths in North Carolina in 2007, including organic, visit
www.pested.org/involved/actionalerts/xmastrees07.html#trees
or contact Agricultural Resources CenterŒs  Pesticide Education Project
833-1123 (Ral)
or toll-free: 1-877-NO-SPRAY      http://www.PESTed.org

Making a better Christmas tree
marketplace.publicradio.org/shows/2005/12/13/PM200512135.html

Chemical Christmas Immigrant Tree Farm Workers Face Pesticide Dangers
www.emagazine.com/view/?2923

------------

TROASA sells trees and greenery at a number of locations in Durham and
Raleigh as a fundraiser.  TROSA¹s TREES AND other items MAY BY SHIPPED.

³TROSA Saves Lives

Triangle Residential Options for Substance Abusers (TROSA) is the home to
nearly 400 individuals, including over 300 residents in the two-year
program, as well as 70 in transitional housing. TROSA serves a diverse
population that otherwise might not have any hope. Residents range in age
from 18 to more than 60. Most have struggled with addiction to drugs or
alcohol for more than ten years. Some have serious health problems. Some do
not read and write, and nearly half left high school without graduating.²
TROSA¹s web page  http://holidaysbytrosa.com/

Laura