INC NEWS - Severe water restrictions on the horizon -- pls voiceyour concerns

Ken Gasch Ken at KenGasch.com
Sat Dec 1 15:38:45 EST 2007

Melissa,

I have a thought on topic of curbing development, but not on current water
crisis.

There may be a better and much more effective way to slow new development?

What if folks were encouraged to, and then applauded for, re-developing
disadvantaged parts of our city? We already have roads, sewer, utilities,
etc in these areas. In other words, re-developing does not require the
infrastructure that developing does.

Demand drives supply. If boarded-up homes were fixed up, perceptions of
public safety were brought in line with reality and folks just simply
believed in our older neighborhoods, folks would fill them back up. With
folks filling up these homes, they will not buy new homes and the developers
will slow their building. And,... instead of building new homes, they could
turn their resources toward re-developing?

Respectfully,

Ken Gasch