INC NEWS - Durham Advisory Board Voted

Chuck Clifton charlyrandy at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 19 08:30:17 EST 2007

Community Members,

The Durham YMCA Advisory Board (DAB) voted November 29th on a recommendation
for the future of the Lakewood YMCA.

You can view their summary of this recommendation at:
http://www.ymcatriangle.org/Durham_YMCAs/632BB43D9AD644C4A96E1FAFC5BC7A3D.aspx

Please be sure to scroll to the bottom and open the documents with their
replies to some (though definitely not all) of the questions raised by the
community at the November 27th meeting.  You can see the minutes and a
comprehensive list of questions raised at this meeting by visiting:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dd83nhq8_294gj59hz

In an effort to be more inclusive of the community going forward, the DAB
has created four committees to be staffed by community volunteers.  These
committees are:  (1) Marketing & Membership, (2) Fundraising, (3) Programs,
& (4) Youth Sports.  I strongly encourage you to all voice any interest you
may have in joining one or more of these committees.  You can do so by
calling Bryan Huffman at (919) 667-9622 or emailing him at
bryan.huffman at ymcatriangle.org.  I have already expressed my interest in
joining the Marketing & Membership committee as well as my interest in
becoming a member of the Durham Advisory Board.

While this falls well short of the community's request for the YMCA to open
up the Durham Advisory Board meetings for attendance by the YMCA membership
and for that board to be publicly known and elected by the membership, it is
certainly an admirable step in building a substantive relationship with
members and the community.  As always, the proof is in the execution and the
Committee to Save the Lakewood YMCA will stand by, as long as you will
support us, to ensure those areas of Durham with the greatest need are met
by the wonderful resources of the YMCA.

This is not the end of the journey.  This recommendation must now be
approved by the Board of Directors of the YMCA of the Triangle.  Then the
building will either need to be sold and leased back by the YMCA or
(optionally) the YMCA will retain ownership and renovate it themselves.
Throughout all of this we need to work together as a community to preserve
what remains at the Lakewood YMCA and to expand the programs at this
location to truly serve the needs of the Southwest Central Durham area.  If
the past six months are any indication, I'm sure the Lakewood YMCA members,
Lakewood Elementary School, Lakewood community, and the Committee to Save
the Lakewood YMCA will be there throughout this journey!

Happy Holidays,

Chuck Clifton
Chairman, Committee to Save the Lakewood YMCA

Useful Save the Lakewood YMCA Links:
Sign our petition:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/save-the-lakewood-ymca/

Post a message:       save-the-lakewood-ymca at yahoogroups.com