INC NEWS - Kids Voting Youth Leadership Opportunities

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Wed Feb 13 01:32:18 EST 2008

Forwarded for Kids Voting/Durham. Feel free to pass this along to your
neighborhood and other list servers.
RWP
27 Beverly

Friends,

Kids Voting Durham is excited about 2008 — we have many new education and
training programs in the works in addition to the upcoming & very key
local, state, and national elections.

Our guiding principal this year is that we want our efforts to be not just
for Durham's youth, but also, as much as possible, led and developed BY
Durham youth (for the most part, 12-18).

Attached and below are descriptions of some Youth Leadership Opportunities
that we would like to see taken on by individual students, classes,  or
groups.

One of our most immediate needs is for 4 or so very civically-motivated
young people to help us form a larger Kids Voting Durham Youth Advisory
Council that will direct Kids Voting Durham’s efforts and initiate & lead
programs that help other young people find & use their civic voice.

Please let me know if you or your school/group are interested or know of
young people who are — and please forward far and wide to others.  We
really want to have a broad, diverse group of young people involved in and
leading our efforts this year.

Thank you for helping to nuture a great civic generation,

Carolyn

--
Carolyn Kreuger
Kids Voting Durham
carolyn at kidsvotingdurham.org
www.kidsvotingdurham.org

KIDS VOTING DURHAM YOUTH OPPORTUNITIES

Kids Voting Durham has many ways for middle- and high-school age students
to help other young people understand and believe in the power they have
as active citizens and informed voters.  Students can volunteer as
individuals or youth councils, classes, & clubs can take on a project as a
group.  Volunteers will receive support and materials from Kids Voting
Durham.  Many projects can be done at times and days chosen by the
volunteer.

Inspire Others to Get Civically Involved, Informed, & Active
Create non-partisan candidate & issue guides, plan & implement candidate
forums, or develop resources on democracy, youth action, & other civic
topics.  Student developed materials are distributed via the Kids Voting
web page and throughout the school system & community.  Help more of
Durham’s young people understand government, elections, and how to be
engaged in our community & make an impact!

Be a Kids Voting Leader
Serve on the youth-led KV-D Youth Advisory Council.  Set priorities for
Kids Voting’s work in Durham and organize events & actions that make sure
the voices of Durham’s youth are heard by our elected officials and
community leaders.

Get Out the Youth Vote
Manage and recruit volunteers for a Voter Registration drive at your high
school or other location. Students who will be 18-year-olds by November 4,
2008 can register to vote now and can also vote in the May primary even if
they aren’t 18 by May.

Youth at the Booth 2008
Manage a Kids Voting station at one of Durham’s 55 precincts on Election
Day in November and help younger kids experience the power of voting.
 This is a great service learning opportunity.

TO LEARN MORE CONTACT:

Carolyn Kreuger
Kids Voting Durham
carolyn at kidsvotingdurham.org