INC NEWS - Column: City cuts would hurt arts scene in Durham (Herald-Sun)

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 4 17:26:12 EDT 2008

I recently received an e-mail complaining because the organization that sent it didn't get what it asked for and urging me to contact elected officials to ask for more.  Especially because the Non-City Agency funding is zero-sum, it is important to weigh in on the agencies that are important to you, because there will certainly be those out there saying "Just take some money from the fat cats at Scrap Exchange" (or whatever).

Also, the consultants on grants to non-profits a couple years ago were saying that "mature" organizations should be "weaned" off grants from foundations and the public.  I'm not exactly sure where these "mature" organizations are supposed to be getting their money -- it sounded to me like a good way to generate a lot of half-baked immature organizations.  But then I'm not making 6-figure salary to pontificate about these issues (-:

Regards, pat