INC NEWS - DATA Seeks Input on Short-Range Transit Plan

John Schelp bwatu at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 22 12:28:13 EDT 2008

from City of Durham...

Public Input Sought On DATA Short-Range Transit Plan
DATA Gearing Up for Service Planning for Next Five Years

Durham Area Transit Authority (DATA) is seeking public input on its short-range transit plan to guide its service improvements over the next five years.

“With the increase in ridership, it is a great time to start looking at the future of transit and how we can best serve the residents of Durham over the next five years,” said Cha’ssem Anderson, transportation planner for the City of Durham.  “Receiving public input has always been a large part of how we plan for improvements to our system.  This request for public input is the first of a series of public input requests over the next six months.”

A short feedback form is now available online at http://data.durhamnc.gov/short_survey_form.cfm.  DATA will be collecting feedback from the public until August 1.

DATA staff, along with an advisory community made up of various City departments, all of the local education institutions, community leaders and other stakeholders, will complete a draft of priorities for the short-range transit plan by the end of August.  According to Anderson, the short-range transit plan will be ready for consideration by the DATA Board of Trustees and Durham City Council by January 2009.

About the Durham Area Transit Authority

Durham Area Transit Authority (DATA) provides safe, reliable, convenient and accessible transportation for the citizens and visitors of the Triangle region.  DATA contracts the operation of its fixed route and paratransit services.  The fixed route system includes 49 buses serving over 14,000 passenger trips daily on 19 different bus routes.  The paratransit system includes 43 vans transporting qualified passengers throughout the City of Durham.  DATA strives to provide traffic congestion relief, cleaner air, and economic development — all in comfort and safety.  For additional information about DATA, call 919-485-RIDE or visit the City’s Web site at http://data.durhamnc.gov.