[Durham INC] COALITION MEETING DATE CORRECTION - JANUARY 22, 2009 - APOLOGIES

pinnaclecdc at aol.com pinnaclecdc at aol.com
Tue Jan 6 09:22:59 EST 2009

Hello,
Many providers of substance  abuse and mental health services funds received
cuts of up to 50% before January  2009. This was not about poor performers,
etc. It was an across the board  decrease. I am sure that it was not an easy
decision for the Durham Center, but, my first concern was for  those needing
treatment. Our funding was cut also, (pending  availability and State budget
issues) and we had to become creative  quickly. There are still people who need
services.
NOT ASKING FOR MONEY!!! - MEETING ANNOUNCEMENT - NOT ABOUT  MONEY!!
To  that end, I am writing to you on behalf  of Durham Together for Resilient
Youth, Drug Free Community Coalition. We are a  hard-working coalition that
decided to take action a few years ago after  researching the relationship
between substance use and incarceration, illness and even death. It shows that
substance abuse exacerbates problems such as domestic violence, child
maltreatment, and homelessness.
We highly respect  and actively support the great work currently being done
by local government  agencies, and treatment providers
Our membership includes  parents and youth as well as valued community
partners. We believe that if we collaborate, we  will have a greater impact on
strengthening our families here in Durham and on building  resiliency in our youth.
To that end, we would like to invite you to our monthly  Community Coalition
meeting on January 22, 2009 at the Durham Public School  Staff Development
Center, located at 2107  Hillandale Rd Durham, NC 27705 from 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM.
You will hear  reports from business, youth, parents, faith, local university
representatives  and from North Carolina Prevent Underage Drinking. We will
discuss the Strategic  Prevention Framework that guides our work and how these
important steps can lead  to substance abuse prevention.
Please RSVP at _www.DurhamTRY.org_ (http://www.durhamtry.org/)  – click
calendar. Attendees who join the coalition will  receive a binder full of great
information. This meeting is free and open to the  public.
Thank you for all  you do to support children and families in our  community.
Sincerely,
Wanda  Boone
Wanda Boone,  Chief Executive Director
Durham Together for Resilient  Youth
Community  Anti-Drug Coalitions of America  MemberNorth  Carolina  Prevent
Underage Drinking Grant Award  Recipient