[Durham INC] [owdna] Re: [pac2] Developments regarding Electronic billboards in Durham

Michael Bacon michael at snowplow.org
Fri Jan 16 14:26:44 EST 2009

Mike,

I may be missing something, but last time I checked, 147, 15-501, 70, and
85 ran near our homes, schools, churches, and parks?

The biggest part of the proposal is to allow lighted electronic billboards.
There's no reason we need them and no reason they're good for Durham, other
than to line Fairway's pocketbooks.

I have not so fond memories of Fairway when they spent tons of campaign
money to knock a few cracks in Asheville's billboard ordinances, then
immediately went on a building spree, coating the town with new billboards
and increasing the sizes of existing ones.  One was so reviled that a
rebellious soul went and chainsawed the thing in half, prompting weeks of
laudatory letters to the editor in the Citizen-Times.  I've seen at least a
previous generation of what Fairway Outdoor Advertising has in mind for
what it thinks is just a little improvement, and I can say quite clearly, I
want none of it.

I've been quiet on this issue, but only because I'm a bit overwhelmed with
other stuff at the moment.  But while I respect the sentiment of, "cool
down, let's take a look at this," ask any current or former resident of
Asheville about this firm, and they'll tell you.

Don't.  Trust.  Fairway.

-Michael

--On Friday, January 16, 2009 1:03 PM -0500 Mike - Hotmail