[Durham INC] [owdna] Re: [pac2] Developments regarding Electronic billboards in Durham

Kelly Jarrett kjj1 at duke.edu
Mon Jan 19 15:57:24 EST 2009

Marcia--
Your point is well taken. And Rodrigo's email was simple & to the point.

I can see why Fairway and their hired representatives want Durhams
existing prohibition of electronic billboards overturned. What I don't
understand is what Mike and Bill have invested in having all of us
consider Fairway's proposal? Why they insist on putting "compromise" on
the table? Why should we even consider overturning our existing
billboard ordinances to allow electronic billboards? It seems likely to
me that the reason there's no text to consider is that Fairway withdrew
proposed text when they sensed the depth of community resistance to
their electronic billboards.

The bit about Durham's foodie culture being saved by electronic
billboard ads directing hungry highway drivers to an independent
restaurant is perhaps the most entertaining fantasy I've read so far. As
if the success of Durham's foodie culture will be helped by electronic
billboards . . . . why do we need to be good enough to warrant coverage
in Southern Living, Food & Wine, Gourmet, or any other national
publication when our home-grown foodie restaurants can be saved by
Fairway's electronic billboards.

Kelly

Marcia Kirinus wrote:

> [...]
>> rejected
>> for one reason or another, but eventually each side came to an agreement
>> that they could live with (literally in their back yards).
>>
>> That took a lot of time, effort, debate, argument, counter point,
>> compromise
>> and understanding on several sides (city, neighborhood and developer)
>> over
>> months and months of meetings, but I believe from the recent newspaper
>> articles and the decision to support it by the planning commission
>> that they
>> came to a very workable solution.
>>
>> I'm just as concerned about the brightness,  neighborhood intrusion,
>> past
>> litigation and visual blight billboards are currently associated
>> with, just
>> like most of us are.
>>
>> Why can't this same process be followed and as much effort put into
>> finding
>> a better solution to what we have now vs. what may be agreed to,  IN
>> WRITING,  so that everyone has had an opportunity to see what's possible.
>>
>> There's a lot of rhetoric and chest beating going on regarding
>> billboards on
>> our listserves and in the papers. Some of it is warranted, some of it
>> not.
>>
>> But before anyone takes a final position on this issue,  doesn't it make
>> sense to discuss it based on facts and written enforceable documentation
>> rather than innuendo and theatrics?
>>
>> It's my understanding that these new digital billboards have an
>> integrated
>> light sensor that doesn't allow them to get any brighter (and sometime
>> significantly so) than the current way of lighting them.   I also
>> understand
>> that they're proposing to use a local source and donate time/space(as
>> they've done for many years) to non-profits and community sponsored
>> issues
>> that significantly affect Durham's bottom line.  Where's that role or
>> participation in the community stand with us? Are they willing to
>> thin out
>> some of their billboards along areas that WE feel ought to have
>> significant
>> additional buffers?   What's enforceable that can be included into our
>> ordinances to prevent future litigation?   Can solar and wind energy
>> counter
>> their carbon footprint or counter it vs. what's happening now?
>>
>> Before asking people to take a stand 'fer or agin it'  maybe there's
>> still
>> time to start getting at what's really bothering us about them and to
>> come
>> up with better proposals and solutions, rather than telling people
>> that the
>> community has already made up it's mind.
>>
>> Have you?
>>
>> "It is better to debate a question without settling it,  than to

>>> 25% of the value of the billboard in any given year, or the repairs do