[Durham INC] [owdna] Re: [pac2] Developments regarding Electronic billboards in Durham

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 19 16:57:40 EST 2009

I would think the billboard is the worst possible way to publicize Durham foodie culture.

Ed and I have found quite a few places when we are doing the blue highways, but it has been based on thinking "Oh, cool place" as we drive by, from Jane and Michael Stern's road food website, or occasionally by using the little DOT food / gas / hotel signs.  A billboard would make us think "tourist trap using its $$ to attract fools who don't know any better."  I think the next generation publicity is a lot more promising for cool places to eat -- use Amazon type preference matching, Google maps and GPS to say "If you love Rue Cler and Dips, you'll love Bubba's Place"

Not to mention that most people going through just want someplace close enough to the highway that they won't get lost and that they recognize the brand of so they won't get anything really bad.

Regards, pat