[Durham INC] Jordan Lake Rules impact on City

Westbrook, Vicki Vicki.Westbrook at durhamnc.gov
Fri Jan 30 17:46:01 EST 2009

Could you please post the following regarding the NC Bill to Disapprove
Jordan Nutrient Strategy Rules?

We would encourage Durham citizens to carefully investigate all impacts
on our community before taking a position on the Jordan Lake Nutrient
Management Rules.  We in City government take our roles as responsible
environmentalists quite seriously and there are other City and County
leaders (also environmentalists) who oppose portions of these Rules,
those portions that are viewed as unnecessary, unfair, and not based on
good science.  The "existing development" rule will lead to huge
stormwater rate increases of hundreds of dollars in Durham that will hit
average citizens very hard.  Durham's leaders have carefully evaluated
these Rules and are supporting some of the rules but rejecting others.
For example, restrictions on new development (the most expensive in the
state) are supported - but rules that could require citizens to fund
hundreds of millions of dollars of stormwater treatment devices for
existing, older development are being rejected. We also support moving
the implementation date for the rules that impact wastewater discharges
by two years so that adequate optimization and design work can be done;
with construction completed by the initially agreed upon date of 2016.
It is important to not have a knee-jerk reaction to these rules.  All of
us care about Durham and want to improve downtown and attract good
development without imposing extremely burdensome stormwater and
wastewater utility fees on our citizens.

Vicki Westbrook, Deputy Director
Administration & Operations
City of Durham, Dept. of Water Management
101 City Hall Plaza
Phone:  (919) 560-4381, x 266
FAX:     (919) 560-4479

There are a number of ways to save water, and they all start with you.
Water - Use it Wisely!