[Durham INC] Jordan Lake Rules impact on City

Ken Gasch Ken at KenGasch.com
Fri Jan 30 22:49:26 EST 2009

Jordan Lake Rules impact on CityI agree.  These rules are crazy.

That said, it seems to me like part of the solution is for folks to stop
obsessing about their yards and stop dumping tons fertilizer on them.

I refuse to water my lawn.  I see it as wasteful.  I also refuse to
fertilize my yard.

As far as my yard is concerned, I believe in survival of the fittest.  If
whatever greenery is growing in my yard can't grow naturally, then I want it
to die.  Die!

A few months back, my wife handed me a New Yorker that had an article about
how bizarre America's obsession with lush green turf actually is.  It talked
about the wasted water.  It talked about the harmful effects of run-off.
The article went on to describe what is called a "freedom lawn."  These lawn
are comprised of whatever will grow.  I was being trendy without even
knowing it.

Ken Gasch