[Durham INC] Jordan Lake Petition Still Open for Signatures

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 11 21:20:10 EST 2009

The Mayor, City and County Managers and Board of County Commissioners are now aware of the online Petition for an Independent Jordan Lake Survey.

Though the 'important Monday meeting' has now passed, we still need signatures on this petition.

So please don't think it's too late to sign and inform others that their signature still counts (and will indefinitely, as long as this petition is still on the web):

http://www.petitiononline.com/jrdnsrvy/petition.html

(If link doesn't work for you, cut and paste it into your URL and remove any spaces before clicking 'go'.)

I would like to send the petition to a number of organizations (local and state) early next week, and it sure would be great to break 2000 signatures by then (touch wood).

So far we have 1480 signatures, including:

George
Lucier (Chair,
Chatham County Board of Commissioners)

 Randy
Voller (Mayor of Pittsboro)Eric Hallman (Hillsborough Town Commissioner)Kevin Foy (Mayor of Chapel Hill)Syd
Miller (the water resource mgr. for Triange J Council of Government)
Dean Lamont (Advisory Board for the Division of Marine Fisheries)And there are many more (I haven't read every signature)

Licensed land surveyor Alan Latham (signature #1286) left this comment: "Development is important but it does not trump quality of Life. I am a Professional Land Surveyor, NC L-2635, and have been a part of developing property. Encroaching on a buffer to protect clean water, especially a water supply, does not make sense."
Thanks again for signing and for STILL spreading the word...
[Note:
The second to last paragraph states that Durham was paying $100
million, when it should have said $100 thousand (to fight the Jordan Lake Rules).
This was merely a typo (and one that missed 3 proof-readings and 1123
signers), but I wanted to make sure you had all the correct facts (and
the recipients of the petition will be informed as well.]

Melissa

Melissa Rooney
mmr121570 at yahoo.com