[Durham INC] Durham's 25 sq. mi. donut hole -- where NO water quality control standards exist

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 17 20:41:55 EST 2009

Matt Saldana's latest Indy article deals underscores the 25 square mile 'donut hole, 'roughly 25 percent of the city," in which no water quality control standards exist...yup, that's right...at all.

http://www.indyweekblogs.com/triangulator/2009/02/17/urban-chickens-okd-developers-donut-revealed-durham-mayor-wears-carolina-blue/#more-2867

We should all thank Council members Catotti and Woodard, for continuing to fight the good fight.

Diane.Catotti at durhamnc.govMike.Woodard at durhamnc.gov

Already this week (and that's in just three days) I've read about
developers threatening to move elsewhere if they are forced to adhere
to environmental protections under consideration (both in Wake and Durham Counties).
If the whole Triangle imposes such environmental protections, and I
don't think any of us have a choice, then in order to make good on
their threat, the development industry will have to move to a less
lucrative and growing area than Durham, which we all know isn't going
to happen...particularly in the current economy.

Our past lack of environmental protections is going to cost Durham
hundreds of millions -- to clean up the pollution already spilling out of Durham
developments permitted in the last 10-20 years. Too bad we can't charge
the developers for these retrofits... The least we can do is ensure
that what little land we have left is developed the way it all should
have been from the get-go.

-- Melissa (Rooney)