[Durham INC] Copper

Moises Rivera moe.rivera at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 12:01:20 EDT 2009

a quote from someone in 2006, someone we all should admire:

 "I started this website because Durham is broken. It’s not just one place
here or there, it’s across the board. Everywhere I go, I hear the citizens
asking WHY. Hence, What’s Happening to You (WHY). And I don’t think I’ll be
able to give you a lot of answers as to WHY, but I hope to use this site to
show those who lead our City, that there is no reason for things to be the
way they are. Maybe we can get some of them fixed along the way"

a quote from someone in 2009, someone we all should ignore:

"Just because a neighborhood pays the $25 to be a
member shouldn't mean that it can drag INC down paths it has no business
going. We once said that INC built better neighborhoods. You have to have
the neighbors in the hood who want it better first. Just because Ken
bought a cheap house in a bad neighborhood and wants to make it a better
neighborhood, doesn't mean INC is the vehicle for doing that."

I personally have met  with some great people in Cleveland Holloway, It's
not just one man against a neighborhood. that would be suicide. But Ken is
representing his neighbors that are all committed to making their "cheap"
houses valued and their "bad" neighborhood awesome. There is no fault in
that. Crime is not only a PAC issue, but a INC issue because ken wants INC
to:
 Fosters cooperation among existing neighborhood organizations.
Encourages the establishment of neighborhood organizations where none exist.
Takes positions on issues that affect our member neighborhoods.
Collects and disseminates information to stimulate awareness and interest in
issues.
Works cooperatively with the City and County of Durham, and makes sure the
voice of the citizen is heard via individual neighborhood organizations.
Holds monthly meetings and invite government officials to deliberate issues,
educate neighbors and brainstorm solutions.
Recognizes Durham’s neighborhood heroes through an annual awards program.

I think INC should not only support a neighborhood because they asked for
our help but also because it's the bigger picture of Durham. Durham as a
whole. Not just the "good" parts and 365k dollar houses. It's about your
neighbors and community.

-Moe