[Durham INC] Copper vs. autos

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Fri Mar 13 17:39:34 EDT 2009

Mo doesn't mention he is quoting me in both of these examples. And
apparently he like some of it but not other. Quoting me in one statement
saying I should be listened to and yet in another that I shouldn't is not
congruent. It's the same person saying it and I haven't changed. Nor have
my views, values or thought processes. Perhaps if the feelings were
removed (because it was related to his neighborhood) and what I said in
both cases was looked at in that light, you'd find they both hold some
water.

I mean no disrespect in what I say. I think those that know me well know
how much I care and do towards making Durham a better place for us all.
And I know there are a lot of others doing the same who are at times, less
vocal. I do neighborhood cleanups in our poorer inner city neighborhoods,
provide firewood to the disadvantaged, build wheel chair ramps to allow
those shut in to finally find some freedom, and generally try to make any
given neighborhood a better place to live. This is in general, but I do a
lot for specific individuals as well. I know there are some good folks in
Mo's neighborhood, but unfortunately they are currently out numbered by
some not-so-good ones. And that's what gentrification brings with it.
Maybe his neighborhood is just a good target and the criminals are coming
from outside his hood. An even better reason to step up awareness there.
But this isn't about any specific neighborhood just as it's not about
copper (to me). It's about asking for something that really would have
little effect when there are others issues that could be asked for and
would have a much greater effect if implemented.

There are realities that are different throughout Durham. Where you have a
copper theft problem in one area but do not in another, it doesn't
diminish the problem for those missing their copper. So you have to look
at why it is happening in one area and not in another. And I'd suggest it
relates to community values and lack of prudence on the part of the
residents. One can not prevent theft if it is executed well, but one can
certainly be prudent in protecting those things that would be taken. In
this case, it's copper from HVAC units (or I would think to a lesser
degree, pipes from under a house). If it's that big of a deal, then it
should be evident that one who has property there needs to be prudent. It
doesn't take $500 to protect a unit (or units). Mine (even though I do not
live in a problem area; I was just being prudent) was protected for less
than $100. It's not steel, it's wood. It doesn't take much to prevent
theft since thieves like the easy way out. You leave your keys in your
ignition nightly, sooner or later your car will be gone... Apparently, you
leave your HVAC unit unprotected (in neighborhoods like we are talking
about), you can expect it to be taken as well. It's impossible to protect
everything to the extent some things should be protected, but if you know
there is a potential theft lurking just around the corner, prudent people
will work to prevent it, neighbors will work to prevent it and the Police
Department will work to help prevent it as well. No one likes  a thief...
And it may even be possible to get a discount on insurance by doing so. I
know if you have an alarm system in your home, your home owners insurance
rates are lower. So even the insurance companies are willing to help to a
degree in helping one protect their property.

I don't have the hard data yet, but initial statistics bear what I had to
say yesterday as being right. Last month for example, for every copper
theft that was reported, roughly 3 cars were stolen. In District 4 (with
similar neighborhood situitations like Mo's neighborhood), 3 copper thefts
were reported; 17 cars were stolen. So copper is much smaller of a deal
than we are led to believe (today) especially if you look at the car theft
example. And disposal of a 7+ year old car is just as easy as getting rid
of HVAC copper (and more profitable). So why look at copper and not at
autos? Or GPS systems stolen from cars? Or lawn mowers... Crime is crime
and I applaud anyone who has the desire to tackle it. But asking our
Legislative Delegation to head down that road is the wrong way. Fixing the
copper theft problem in one neighborhood has to start from the bottom up,
not the top down. Like I keep saying, there are far better "wish list"
items for them to take to Raleigh that would go much farther in making
regional life safer for all of our neighbors; here in Durham and
regionally.

RWP
27 Beverly

>  I am so glad we do have a forum to speak our personal opinions and
> convictions, but I thought this was about whole neighborhoods. This is a
> perfect example of the two Durhams that everyone speaks of. Copper raping
> is
> a serious crime that can devastate a home in any neighborhood. Thanks Ken
> for bringing this issue forward.
>
> We get it Randy, your against more regulation and double taxing.
> Obviously,
> the laws in the books are not protecting enough people. So, change is
> needed. Regardless, if you think this issue is a nieghborhood issue or
> not. I still want to hear the opinions of your neighbors. Do not censor
> the
> little guy (that is ironic since it's Ken) because we have different crime
> issues and priorities then yourself. What is going to happen when the
> thieves steal all the copper in the "inner city" neighborhoods?  where do
> you think they will go next? Not everyone can put a $500 dollar cage on
> top
> of their HVAC system or pay the insurance premiums to cover the cost. Why
> don't you offer up an alternative instead of being negative. Saying "Sorry
> Ken there are bigger fish to fry!" is very counter productive and
> offensive,
> and I think you owe him an apology.
>
> Also, to say that people are vandalising thier own system in some type of
> insurance scam is absurd. Are you saying that everyone who lives in this
> area is a scam artist or criminal trying to make a buck. There's
> real victims here and it's our duty to protect them.
>

> -Moe Rivera
>  E Trinity Ave
>  OND

This e-mail, and any attachments to it, contains PRIVILEGED AND
CONFIDENTIAL information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) or
entity named on the e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reading,
dissemination or copying of this e-mail in error is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this electronic  transmission in error, please notify
me by telephone (919-489-0576) or by electronic mail (pickle at patriot.net)
immediately.