[Durham INC] Social Host Ordinance

pinnaclecdc at aol.com pinnaclecdc at aol.com
Sat Mar 21 22:35:45 EDT 2009

Dear Fellow Citizens,

I have personally spoken with PAC Leaders and groups across Durham about the issue of underage drinking parties and/or litter left as evidence of such a party.

We, as a Drug Free Community Coalition are working from the Substance Abuse Mental Health Services Association (SAMHSA) Strategic Prevention Framework to reduce Substance Abuse in our neighborhoods. TRY has completed the DRAFT of the Social Host Ordinance previously identified as priority 1 and will discuss it formally at our next coalition meeting on Tuesday April 14, 2009. We need your input. Please visit our web site for more information www.DurhamNCTRY at aol.com (click Calendar), We strongly urge you to send a representative from your PAC and/or Neighborhood Association to this important meeting. Thomas Szigethy, Director Substance Abuse Prevention is a member of our coalition. Duke and NCCU Campus Police representatives, Alcohol Law Enforcement and a member of Durham City Police will be invited to attend as well.

No Neighborhood is exempt from this issue. A copy of this email will be forwarded to the City Council and County Commissioners.

Brief Summary:

Consumption of alcoholic beverages by minors and parties where minors consume alcoholic beverages present a myriad of problems for the minor, the community, and law enforcement. Alcohol is the drug of choice for youth (National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse, 2002), and the leading cause of death among teenagers (American Medical Association
, Office of Alcohol/Drug Abuse, 2001). In addition, home parties have repeatedly been identified as the primary source by which youth obtain alcohol (Combating Underage Drinking Survey, 1999, and Mayer, Forster, Murray, and Wagenaar, 1998). Studies indicate that most underage drinking “occurs primarily outside commercial establishments and most often in residences and open areas like beaches and parks.” (Forster, Murray, and Wagenaar, 1998). National research shows that 57 percent of minors reported drinking at friends’ homes (Combating Underage Drinking Survey, 1999).

What is this about? The proposed ordinance would make it a misdemeanor for a minor to consume alcoholic beverages in any public place, place open to the public and any place not open to the public (unless supervised by a parent or guardian), and make it a misdemeanor to permit, host or allow a party or gathering where three or more minors are gathered and a minor is consuming alcoholic beverages at a private residence (underage drinking party). As a misdemeanor, violators of the ordinance could be punishable by up to six months in jail and/or $1,000 fine.

The proposed ordinance would prohibit consumption in both public places and places not open to the public. There is currently no law which makes it a crime to host an underage drinking party. There are laws which address the symptoms of an underage drinking party, such as laws against littering, urinating in public and vandalism. However, these
laws do not hold the host responsible for the impact their party has had on the public or the minor. The prohibition against hosting an underage drinking party does not apply when the gathering is supervised by the parent or guardian of each minor that is present. The purpose of the exception is to exclude religious and similar types of family gatherings from being subject to the ordinance.

A member of the coalition would be happy to come and discuss this at your community meeting.

Your Partners in Safety, Health and Well-being,

Wanda Boone, Founder Durham TRY