[Durham INC] copper theft vs. auto theft as a reported crime

Helena Cragg hcragg at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 25 19:09:35 EDT 2009

You know that old saying "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies,
and statistics."   The thesis you propose in this message is a fine
illustration that without the proper frame of reference the statistics you
share are absolutely irrelevant.   The problem is not only copper;
depending on market pricing at any given time steel, aluminum, and other
metals will fetch a pretty penny.  The salvage price of copper and other
metals has been down for the 1st 3 months of 2009 when compared to this past
summer when the price of copper was sky high.   Thus, it is no surprise at
all that there would not be many reported cases of copper theft in the very
brief window of time that you refer to.

Secondly, I take issue with the presumption that all copper thefts are, or
even could be, accurately tracked as such.   In the vast majority of cases
that I have seen the incidents have been coded as a Breaking & Entering,
Vandalism, Trespassing, Theft by taking, or some other litany of charges.
Auto theft however is quite clearly a separately tracked category.

While I agree that a car theft could be very detrimental to some victims,
have you ever stopped to think of the impact on an elderly person or a
family is their A/C is rendered useless by some thief looking to make a
quick buck?   You incorrectly assume that the problem is only applicable to
vacant properties.  I am aware of several businesses and churches that have
been hit repeatedly.

You are also apparently oblivious to the fact that the cost of salvage items
is directly linked to the increase in car thefts.   Take the time to stop
making incorrect assumptions and you might learn that the theft of catalytic
converters is still increasing, car batteries can be sold for chump change
right alongside copper, and there are several brazen thieves who will steal
an old heavy car merely to take it to the scrap yard for the metal costs.

Finally you are categorically incorrect that copper theft is a problem
isolated to just certain neighborhoods.   It is in fact a nationwide
problem.   I'll include just a few links just to make my point.

California http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/31/us/31copper.html
Delaware
http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080415/NEWS01/804
150348
Zambia  http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-11359600.html
Verizon telephone lines in Durham
http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/2479771/
Cary  http://www.carynews.com/news/public_safety/story/11579.html
Salvation Army in Raleigh  http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1630976/

Randy, I hope that just because the problem has not impacted you directly as
of yet, that you will refrain from diminishing the impact that it has had on
numerous other victims.

Sincerely,

Helena
Old North Durham