[Durham INC] The Bull City a bully...or DENR Dominating Durham?

Mike Woodard mike at mikewoodard.com
Fri Mar 27 15:48:03 EDT 2009

The protection of Jordan Lake is too important to ignore. As a way to
engage in this critical issue, I would like to suggest that residents
do a couple of things to assist your elected and appointed officials
in our fight for Jordan and the watershed surrounding it.

First, learn more about the proposed Jordan Lake rules. I appreciate
Melissa sharing the Environment NC site. However, the information
presented there is not balanced, and the tone is pejorative and
exaggerated. On the website you will read: "Even more dismaying, city
officials are arguing that part of the lake shouldn't really have to
be clean." Where's the documentation to support that wild claim?

And even the original subject of this email ("The Bull City a
bully?") is grossly unfair.

Please take time to familiarize yourselves with the City Council's
position on this issue. Here is a website that provides a lot of information:
<http://durhamnc.gov/departments/wm/jordan_lake_rules.cfm>http://durhamnc.gov/departments/wm/jordan_lake_rules.cfm

I've pulled out these three paragraphs as a summary:
"The Durham City Council, which has many members who are consistent
supporters of environmental groups and initiatives in the region, has
determined that not all of the Jordan Rules are in Durham's interest.
The Council has endorsed many of the rules -- for example, the "new
development" rule. That rule will raise the cost of stormwater
controls for new housing and commercial and institutional
construction in Durham to the highest in the state. However, the
Council opposes some of the rules, particularly the "existing
development" rule, given the outrageous costs which will fall on
Durham citizens. This would force the City to pay an estimated $570
million, could require condemnation of private property, and take
property out of the City's tax base. The "science" behind Jordan
Lake's condition can certainly be argued both ways, but it is a fact
that the lake is successfully serving uses that many experts thought
would be impossible when it was constructed.

"In fact, the water in the lower New Hope arm of the lake is now used
as a source of drinking water for a number of communities, and Durham
is working with other local governments to make Jordan Lake a
regional water source. Thus, the City is invested in the water
quality of Jordan Lake.

"A compromise approach is needed to strike a reasonable balance. The
"existing development" rule is prohibitively expensive and should be
substantially modified. Some rules need to be fine-tuned and others
should remain as is. The result of such a compromise will continue to
protect Jordan Lake at a more reasonable cost for citizens."

Even Environment NC acknowledges Durham's leadership ("The Bull City
has been an environmental leader over the years.."), and the City has
worked hard to be ahead of many of the issues raised with the Jordan
Lake rules. However, as proposed, the rules are punitive, especially
for a community that has been so far ahead of our neighbors on water
protection.

On Monday evening, there will be a presentation on the Jordan Lake
rules at City Hall, in the Committee Room on second floor. It begins
at 7 PM. Please come join me (and a lot of other folks from across
the region, I suspect) to learn more from the various groups who will
be represented.

Second, once you've gotten a handle on these issues, please contact
the City Council, the County Commissioners, and our legislators. All
of us have pieces of this issue we're wrestling with. Let us know how you feel.

The myriad issues around Jordan Lake are complicated and deserve
informed conversation.

Mike Woodard
One of the City Council members cited above as a "consistent
supporter of environmental groups and initiatives in the region"