[Durham INC] Celebrate Earth Day Tomorrow

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Fri Mar 27 16:18:23 EDT 2009

Dear Durham Citizens:

Can you believe it’s March already?  As daffodils and pear trees bloom all
over town, we all enjoy watching Durham’s greenery come to life!  This
annual reminder from Mother Earth draws from each of us a deep
appreciation of how miraculous our planet really is.  And just in time –
the Durham Earth Day Festival
(http://www.durhamnc.gov/departments/parks/earthday/) is right around the
corner, and the City/County Sustainability Office has partnered with other
local groups to put together an Earth Month Calendar
(http://www.durham-nc.com/things/earthmonth.html) as a fabulous clearing
house of all Earth-friendly activities all across the county.

Keep Durham Beautiful and its Board of Directors, in partnership with
Mayor William V. “Bill” Bell and County Commissioner Michael D. Page, are
writing to ask you to consider one more way to show your appreciation for
our planet, by joining us in celebrating “Earth Hour.”

Earth Hour was conceived by the World Wildlife Fund as a way to raise
awareness among the general public about climate change and to convey that
by working together, each of us can have a positive impact. Last year
during Earth Hour 2008, more than 50 million people in 400+ cities around
the world turned off their lights to demonstrate their commitment to
joining this global movement to encourage the world to take action on one
of the most urgent issues facing our planet.

On Saturday, March 28, 2009, all around the world as each successive 8:30
p.m. rolls around, people, communities, and even whole cities will be
shutting off their lights(not the TV, computer or video games) for one
hour as a planet-wide celebration and act of commitment to our environment
and to living as greenly as we can within it.

Please consider, along with your family and friends, joining us in this
small act of appreciation for the planet that sustains us all.

If you’d like more information about how you can get involved year-round
to directly impact Durham’s environment, please visit
www.keepdurhambeautiful.org or call  560-4197.

Sincerely,

William V. “Bill” Bell
Mayor, City of Durham