[Durham INC] neighborhood org safety

TheOcean1 at aol.com TheOcean1 at aol.com
Wed Apr 8 11:14:41 EDT 2009

I'd second those comments.
If Durham was a diamond, it's facets would be it's neighborhoods.

I'm a big believer in Melissa's total transparency model, it's the same
privacy you are allowed in a little tiny town of say 1,000 residents. Everyone
knows each other and our routines, we watch out for each other, I grew up in a
town that size.

I moved to Durham 30 years ago, it felt like a move to a big city then, and
it smelled like tobacco in the mornings.

Lately, it's become more like a city built of a bunch of small towns
(neighborhoods) and I credit some of that to InterNeighborhood Council. INC  helped
my neighborhood organize over two decades ago, and is  celebrating 25 years of
that kind of effort this year. (pardon that  brag)

I believe when the Bull City is NOT a city of about 250,000, but is more
like a city built of a bunch of (about 250) neighborhoods that collectively
think like individual small towns, and operate like small towns, the sooner we
can adhere to the idea that it takes a community to raise a child.

This might sound corny, but I moved into my neighborhood 20+ years ago and
would have no idea that so many cool neighbors filled in around me if it
weren't  for our listserv. We have about 600 on it now, and we can track your lost
pet faster than any neighborhood in Durham.

The closer knit the better.

Bill Anderson

In a message dated 4/7/2009 11:20:12 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,